About: AAAS Awards
Philip Hauge Abelson Award
NOMINATION DEADLINE: 1 SEPTEMBER
The American Association for the Advancement of Science invites nominations for the AAAS Philip Hauge Abelson Award. This annual award was established in 1985 by the AAAS Board of Directors and is presented at the AAAS Annual Meeting. A monetary prize of $5,000, a commemorative medallion, complimentary registration, and reimbursement for reasonable travel and hotel expenses to attend the AAAS Annual Meeting are given to the recipient.
The Prize is awarded annually either to:
- a public servant, in recognition of sustained exceptional contributions to advancing science, or
- a scientist, whose career has been distinguished both for scientific achievement and for other notable services to the scientific community.
The winner will be selected by a five-member judging panel.
You should provide:
- Your name, e-mail address, mailing address, and phone number.
- The nominee's name, e-mail address, mailing address, and phone number.
- A statement (no more than three pages) providing the rationale for the nomination.
- The candidate's vita or résumé (no more than three pages).
All materials become the property of AAAS.
Please submit all information to:
Abelson Award Coordinator
AAAS Science and Policy Programs
1200 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20005
Anita K. Jones was selected on the basis of her outstanding scientific-technical achievements; her contributions as a mentor, inspiration, and role model for other scientists and engineers; and her lifetime of exemplary public service to government, professional institutions, academia, and industry.
All materials must be received by 1 September.