About: AAAS Awards
The AAAS MARTIN AND ROSE WACHTEL CANCER RESEARCH AWARD
AAAS and Science Translational Medicine invite applications for the inaugural AAAS Martin and Rose Wachtel Cancer Research Award. This annual award, funded by an endowment established through a generous bequest from Martin L. Wachtel, will honor an early-career investigator who has performed outstanding work in the field of cancer research. Entrants must have received their Ph.D. or M.D. within the last 10 years. The award winner will be invited to deliver a public lecture on his or her research and will receive a cash award of $25,000. The award winner’s Essay will be published as a Perspective in Science Translational Medicine.
Deadline for Entries
The deadline for application is February 15, 2013.
- Entrants must be a researcher in the field of cancer, with an advanced degree (Ph.D., M.D., D.V.M.) received within the last 10 years.
- The research must have been performed during the previous 10 years.
- The entrant must have performed or personally directed the work described in the Essay.
- Employees of AAAS and their relatives are not eligible for the prize.
Procedures for Entry
Entry packages must include the following materials, written in English:
- A letter of application written by the entrant or by a nominator describing the entrant’s significant contributions to cancer research. The letter should explain how the candidate’s research promises to make a lasting impact on the cancer field.
- An Essay written by the nominee describing their research project and explaining how it advances our understanding of cancer. The Essay must not exceed 1500 words and may have one figure. The research described in the Essay must be in the field of cancer and the applicant must have performed or directed all of the work. The research must have been performed within the last 10 years.
- A one-page letter of recommendation from the entrant’s postdoctoral advisor, supervisor, or other senior colleague who is familiar with the entrant's work.
- A copy of the entrant’s curriculum vitae.
- Copies of two of the entrant's papers that are most relevant to the Essay.
Send all material in the entry package in pdf format to Katrina Kelner, Editor Science Translational Medicine at firstname.lastname@example.org with Wachtel Award Entry in the subject line. Please note: If your contact information changes after submission then you must inform us at email@example.com.
Criteria and Selection
The editors of Science Translational Medicine will be responsible for the initial evaluation of the Essays. Approximately the top 10 percent of the Essays will be forwarded to the judging panel. The judging panel is composed of prominent international researchers in the field of cancer and will include Phillip A. Sharp, President-Elect of the AAAS Board of Directors. The applicants will be rated on two characteristics: scientific quality and significance of their research, and the clarity and style of the Essay.
Send inquiries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.