About: Invest in AAAS
Ways to Give: Planned/Deferred Gifts
Contact the Development Office toll-free:
Charitable Remainder Trusts
Establishing a remainder trust with AAAS as the charitable beneficiary allows donors or their designees to receive income for life or for a specified period. Typically, the donor makes an irrevocable gift to AAAS—in most cases using cash or appreciated assets—and reserves the right to receive an income from the gift property for a specified period. Upon termination of the income rights, the gift property passes to AAAS to support our programs and activities, in keeping with the donor's wishes.
In addition to creating a meaningful and important legacy at AAAS, establishing a charitable remainder trust can offer many benefits to you, including:
- The opportunity to name yourself—or anyone you wish—as an income beneficiary of the trust.
- The option of setting the exact amount that will be paid each year—or to choose income payments that vary with the investment success of the trust.
- The chance to select the property to be transferred to the trust. Making a deferred gift of appreciated securities may have positive implications with regard to capital gains tax. Choosing to give low-yielding securities or other assets could increase your current income.
- An immediate income tax deduction for your charitable contribution, typically based on the present value of the deferred gift.
- A possible estate tax reduction.
There are several different types of charitable remainder trusts, including unitrusts and annuity trusts. Yearly income from a unitrust fluctuates based on the value of the trust. For an annuity trust, income payments are fixed based on the value of the property placed in the trust when the trust is established. We recommend that you discuss the best options for you with your advisors.
If you would like more information about making a gift to AAAS through a charitable remainder trust, please contact Juli Staiano, Director of Development. Please also let us know if you wish to support a particular program or create a new fund or endowment so that we can ensure that your explicit intentions can be carried out. In some cases, we may prepare a Memorandum of Understanding articulating what the gift will support and how it will be administered.
Donors who notify us of their intention to support AAAS by establishing a charitable remainder trust are highlighted as members of our 1848 Society, recognizing individuals who provide for AAAS through their wills or other charitable plans.