Career Resources: AAAS Internship Opportunities
Center for Science, Technology and Security Policy (CSTSP) Internship Program
The Center for Science, Technology and Security Policy is currently seeking interns interested in the field of science and security policy. CSTSP internships offer graduate students a unique opportunity to gain valuable real-world experience in this very exciting and competitive field. The duration of the volunteer internship is approximately 4 months (with an extension possible), depending on availability. Scheduling is flexible, but an intern is expected to work 20 hours per week. Though CSTSP does not provide monetary compensation to interns, AAAS will try to accommodate students interested in receiving course credit from their institutions.
Interns will gain experience through daily interaction with experts involved with the critique, development and conduct of science and security policy. As part of the internship, they will:
- Monitor legislation impacting science and security
- Conduct science, technology and policy research
- Attend relevant Congressional hearings and meetings
- Participate in meetings of the science and security policy community
- Assist in the drafting of policy briefs
The position requires a strong interest in national and international security issues and how they relate to science and technology. The ideal candidate will have excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills; proven organizational skills; attention to detail; ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously; and strong computer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet) skills.
Applications are processed on a continuous basis, so apply early as positions fill quickly.
- Summer Semester (May through August) April 1
- Fall Semester (September through December) August 1
- Spring Semester (January through April) December 1
How To Apply
Submit a resume, cover letter including writing samples, and references through the online system.