Scientific Horizons and Seminary Education
Scientific Horizons and Seminary Education:
A Workshop for Professors of Washington Theological Consortium Schools
On October 6-7, 2011 DoSER partnered with the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) to hold a groundbreaking workshop designed to enrich theological education with the excitement and challenges of forefront science. Seminary professors and students met with scientists and pastors to discuss opportunities for integrating science into seminary curricula and to learn about some of the exciting recent developments in Evolution, Earth and Space Science, and Neuroscience.
The morning of October 6th was spent at the Smithsonian Institute’s Museum of Natural History. The participants of the workshop were treated to a tour of the recently opened Hall of Human Origins by Curator Dr. Rick Potts.
- Dr. Stephen Graham of the Association of Theological Schools
- Dr. Larry Goleman of the Washington Theological Consortium
- Dr. Jennifer Wiseman of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Panel—Science and Theological Education: Importance, Challenges, and Opportunities
- Dr. Joan Centrella, Deputy Director of Astrophysics, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
- Dr. Larry Goleman, Executive Director of the Washington Theological Consortium
- Dr. Deirdre Hainsworth, Assistant Professor of Christian Ethics, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
- Rev. Walter Rogero, Pastor, Calvary Gospel Church, Arlington, VA
- Bianca Quezada, M.Div
- Evolution: Dr. Daryl Domning, paleontologist and evolutionary biologist
- Earth and Space: Dr. Jennifer Wiseman, Astrophysicist and Project Scientist for the Hubble Space Telescope
- Neuroscience: Dr. Esther Sternberg, Chief of the Section on Neuroendocrine Immunology and Behavior at the National Institute of Mental Health, and Dr. Nathalia Piexoto, Assistant Professor of Bioengineering at George Mason University
Discussions on Seminary Education Implications
- Bible: Rev. Joseph Wimmer, author, seminary professor and signatory of the founding document of the Washington Theological Union
- Theology/History: Rev. John Crossin, former Executive Director of the Washington Theological Consortium
- Pastoral/Practical Theology: Dr. Leonard Hummel, Professor of Pastoral Theology at the Lutheran Theological Seminary