Entry Deadlines are Nearing for Several AAAS Awards and Prizes
Entry deadlines are approaching for several prestigious AAAS awards, including the 15 August deadline for the 2010 AAAS Award for Public Understanding of Science and Technology.
The entry deadline for four other AAAS awards is 1 September, and the deadline for the new AAAS Early Career Award for Public Engagement with Science is 15 October. That new award will honor early-career scientists and engineers who make exemplary efforts to reach out to the public regarding science and technology.
The various AAAS awards and prizes recognize scientists, journalists, and public servants for significant contributions to science and to the public’s understanding of science. All of the awards (including several for which the entry deadlines already have passed) will be presented at the AAAS Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. in February, 2011.
Here are awards with upcoming entry deadlines and contact information:
- AAAS Award for Public Understanding of Science & Technology: 15 August The AAAS Award for Public Understanding of Science and Technology recognizes working scientists and engineers who make outstanding contributions to the “popularization of science.” For more information contact Stacey Pasco at (202) 326-6645, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AAAS Philip Hauge Abelson Award: 1 SeptemberThe AAAS Philip Hauge Abelson Award honors a public servant for sustained exceptional contributions to advancing science or a scientist or engineer for a distinguished career of both scientific achievement and other notable services to the scientific community.
- The AAAS Award for International Scientific Cooperation: 1 SeptemberThe AAAS Award for International Scientific Cooperation honors an individual or group for making extraordinary contributions to further international cooperation in science and engineering. For more information contact Linda Stroud at (202) 326-6659, or e-mail email@example.com.
- The AAAS Award for Scientific Freedom and Responsibility: 1 SeptemberThe AAAS Award for Scientific Freedom and Responsibility honors scientists, engineers, and their organizations whose exemplary actions, sometimes taken at significant personal cost, have served to foster scientific freedom and responsibility. For more information, contact Deborah Runkle at (202) 326-6794 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The AAAS/Subaru Prize for Excellence in Science Books: 1 SeptemberThe AAAS/Subaru Prize for Excellence in Science Books, sponsored by Subaru, celebrates outstanding science writing and illustration for children and young adults. For more information, contact Heather Malcomson at (202) 326-6646 or e-mail email@example.com.
- The AAAS Early Career Award for Public Engagement with Science: 15 OctoberThis early career award, endowed by Bob and Margee Hazen and other donors, is meant to encourage scientists to explain their work to the public and engage in a dialogue with non-scientists about issues at the interface of science and society. For more details on eligibility and nomination procedures, please go to the award Web site. The award administrator is Tiffany Lohwater, 202-326-8737, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the awards and prizes given annually by AAAS.