News: News Archives
How to Become a Personal Contact for Congress
Suggestions from a former staffer
In a talk at the workshop to plan for a Center for Science and Security, Sherri Stephan, a former AAAS Fellow and Senate staffer gave the following tips for how to become a trusted source of information to policy makers:
- Know who you are visiting and what is important to him or her;
- Know the issue, the politics and the procedure; stick to what you were invited to discuss;
- Don't communicate disappointment about talking to "just" a staffer;
- Provide information that is reliable, accurate, timely and objective;
- Invite staff to events at your organization;
- Hold events on the Hill that involve a broad range of speakers with differing opinions.
Return to main article.
23 April 2003