All application materials must be submitted online by 11:59pm EST, 15 January 2015. Official transcripts and letters of recommendations must be postmarked by 15 January 2015.
The 2015 Mass Media Science and Engineering Fellows Program Application will be available October 2014.
Please note that the online system will only accept application materials in PDF form. You can also view and print a PDF of your application at any time to see your progress. Adobe Acrobat Reader program must be installed on your computer to download this form. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free software that lets you view and print Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files on all major computer platforms.
A complete application packet consists of:
- A fully complete online application form
- A copy of your resume or CV (please include any honors, awards, and relevant activities)
- General Writing Sample: ONE 2 to 3 page brief sample of your writing that is on any subject (science or non-science topic) and directed toward a non-scientific audience (in terms appropriate for the general public). Please do not include technical or journal articles
- Sample News Story: A 750-word 'news' story for the general public summarizing a science, mathematics or engineering journal article from the past 6 months and describing what the study's findings are, why the study's findings are important and what impact it will have on the public
- Source Article: The source journal article used to write your Sample News Story
- Candidate Response: Responses to each of the 7 reflective questions found within the application
- Three letters of recommendation (to be uploaded online by your recommender or mailed directly to the program by the recommender). Two of these letters should be from faculty members
- Official transcripts of your undergraduate and graduate work (to be mailed directly to the program by your undergraduate and graduate universities)
Applicants are responsible for obtaining the necessary official transcripts and letters of recommendation and seeing that all materials are sent directly to the program. These materials will not be accepted if mailed by the applicant. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants whose transcripts are en route to DC on the application due date of January 15th (i.e. the online application system still shows that transcripts are missing) will still be allowed to submit their applications within the online system. The program will be uploading transcripts as they roll in through January.
Applicants are evaluated by a selection committee composed of experts in the sciences, education, and media. The committee makes recommendations to the AAAS staff, who are responsible for the final decisions and for negotiations between the candidates and the media hosts. Telephone interviews are conducted with semi-finalists sometime in March each year. Candidates will receive final notification of the status of their application by April 15th.
Please have letters of recommendations (if not uploaded within the online system) and official transcripts mailed to:
AAAS Mass Media Science and Engineering Fellows Program
Attn: Dione Rossiter, Education and Human Resources
1200 New York Ave., NW, 6th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20005
Telephone: (202) 326-6441
- Applicants must be enrolled as college or university students (graduate, doctoral, or upper level undergraduates) — or within one year of a completed degree — in the physical, biological, geological, health, engineering, computer, or social sciences or mathematics in order to apply.
- Students enrolled in English, journalism, science journalism, or other non-technical fields are not eligible for these fellowships.
- Successful applicants must attend an orientation at AAAS headquarters at the beginning of the summer (early June) and a wrap-up session at the end of the summer (mid-August). They will prepare reports on the progress of their fellowships throughout their placement.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
The 2014 Mass Media Science and Engineering Fellows Program Application can be accessed here: http://massmedia.aaas.org.