It is essential to ensure that an application meets all the stated eligibility and criteria, includes all the required information, and specifically addresses all the questions in the candidate statement.
The AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships are provided primarily as an educational opportunity. Fellowships are awarded to highly qualified individuals interested in learning about the science-policy interface while applying their scientific and technical knowledge and analytical skills to the federal policy realm. Please keep in mind:
- The fellowships are extremely competitive; a well-prepared candidate statement and carefully selected references are keys to a successful application.
- It is important to read the guidelines and instructions thoroughly, as well as the fellowship program area information.
- Developing a clear, comprehensive and competitive application takes significant time.
- Start early and contact your references as soon as possible.
- Applicants may apply for up to two fellowship opportunities.
The online application for the 2015-16 fellowship year will open in May 2014. Visit our application website at https://fellowshipapp.aaas.org for more information. The deadline to apply is November 1, 2014.
Once the application is open, you can register your online application, work on it, save it and come back to it at any time before final submission. Note that you may apply for up to two fellowship areas, and you must submit a separate application for each fellowship area (both applications can be in process at the same time).
Important! It is critical to give your references enough time to write and submit a strong letter of recommendation. We recommend that you register at least your personal data and the contact information for your three references right away (email is required). The online application system will contact your references directly and provide them with the instructions for completing and submitting a recommendation letter for you. You can then track online when your reference letters are received. The system will send automatic reminders each week until the letters have been submitted. Ultimately you are responsible for ensuring the letters are received by the deadline. Applications with fewer than three recommendation letters will not be considered.