International Human Rights Day: December 10
International Human Rights Day celebrates the anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that was adopted on December 10, 1948 by the United Nations General Assembly. This year's Human Rights Day marks 20 years since the establishment of the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights. For more information see the UN event page or read the 20-20 human rights vision statement by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Science and Human Rights
At AAAS, we use this day to draw attention to the connections between science and human rights. For example:
- Scientists have human rights
- Science and technology can be applied to human rights
- The conduct of science and applications of technology may have human rights implications
- International law recognizes the right to "enjoy the benefits of scientific progress"
- Scientists can be a constituency for human rights