The AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors Program is committed to providing inventors a platform that allows them to demonstrate their role as change agents in society and as problem solvers. Invention Ambassadors are empowered to discuss the importance of invention in creating new products, building new businesses, creating a better quality of life, building economies and fostering innovation. These messages can be found in the videos, articles and resources below.
2016 AAAS Annual Meeting Public Science Day – Columbia Heights Education Campus – February 11, 2016
AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors Event at Morgan State University – February 11, 2016
The Lemelson Foundation 20th Anniversary Celebration - September 18, 2015
2015-2015 Invention Ambassador Talks - "Celebrate Invention" - July 14, 2015
AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors Transitioning Event - Thomas Edison National Historical Park - June 15, 2015
Invention Ambassador Rory Cooper: Impel - Unboxed Presented by Leadership Pittsburgh
AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors Inaugural Class - "Celebrate Invention" - July 1, 2014
Ambassadors in Action
Invention Ambassador Paul Stamets at the 2014 Google SciFoo Convention
Ivention Ambassador Steve Sasson was the featured subject of a project by a graduate student of Invention Ambassador Karen Burg who was completing her MBA Entrepreneuership Certificate. Powerpoint to that presentation found here:
AAAS Ambassadors and AAAS staff gathered at the home of Invention Ambassador Paul Stamets for a celebration of the program
Ambassador panels at "Creating a Strong Invention Ecosystem to Solve Critical 21st Century Problems" at the AAAS Annual Meeting, IBM Research Center-Almaden
- Feb. 3, 2016 - Juan Gilbert: "Demonstration of of Accessible Voting for Vision Loss in New Hampshire", New Hampshire Association for the Blind
- Feb. 2, 2016 - Rory Cooper: "Robotic Prosthetics for Disabled Atheletes", CNN
- Jan. 6, 2016 - Suzie Pun: "Inventing New Biomedical Applications", The Daily, University of Washington
- Dec.29, 2015 - Jay Harman: Biomimicking our Way to a Better World, "20 Big Ideas" Spotlights by the Lemelson Foundation
- Dec. 4, 2015 - Juan Gilbert: "When Recruiting Minority Faculty Members Isn't Enough", The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Nov. 11, 2015 - Rory Cooper: How Advancements in Prosthetic Limbs Could Impact Future of Sports, ESPN
- Nov. 9, 2015 - Rebecca Richards-Kortum: "Rice prof sheds new light on global health", Houston Chronicle
- Oct. 26, 2015 - Andrew Hessel: "These dogs could be the new face of cancer treatment", Mic Media
- Sept. 25, 2015 - AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors Featured in TEDx MidAtlantic Talk Given by Dr. Shirley Malcom
- Sept. 20, 2015 - Lisa DeLuca Named Top 150 Professionals Under the Age of 35, Linkedin
- Sept. 11, 2015 - Lisa DeLuca: "Can Failure Actually Improve Innovation?", PBS NewsHour
- Aug. 27, 2015 - AAAS Science Update: Saving Preemies, featuring Rebecca Richards-Kortum
- Aug. 23, 2015 - Paul Stamets: "Could a Mushroom Save a Honeybee"
- Aug. 13, 2015 - AAAS Science Update: Cancer-Killing Viruses, featuring Andrew Hessel
- Aug. 13, 2015 - Steve Sasson: "In 1975, this Kodak employee invented the digital camera. His bosses made him hide it."
- Jul. 31, 2015 - AAAS Science Magazine-News and Notes: "Invention ambassadors challenge others to follow innovation path"
- Jul. 31, 2015 - AAAS Science Update: Voting Machines, featuring Juan Gilbert
- Jul. 29, 2015 - AAAS Science Update: Cooling From Nature, featuring Jay Harman
- Jul. 30, 2015 - Paul Sanberg "Inventors as Rock Stars", Innovators Insight, IPOEF
- Jul. 28, 2015 - Rory Cooper "See How Robotics Is Changing What It Means To Be Disabled", Time Magazine
- Apr. 18, 2015 - Paul Stamets "Fungi to the Rescue" feature on Coast to Coast AM Radio
- Mar. 17, 2015 - Rory Cooper: "Human Engineering Research Laboratories" feature on WTAE TV
- Jan. 20, 2015 - Rory Cooper: "NPR-WESA Story on International Society for Wheelchair Professionals"
- Dec. 31, 2014 - Rory Cooper: Impel - Unboxed Presentation
- Nov. 2014 - Paul Stamets - "Mushrooms as Medicine: from Helping Treat Cancer to Bees and Biosecurity
- Nov. 21, 2014 - Paul Sanberg acknowledges Invention Ambassador program in letter to Science Magazine, "Rewarding Academic Innovation"
- Nov. 10, 2014 - Steve Sasson, Mazda CX5 commercial
- Nov. 7, 2014 - "Veterans of Influence": Rory Cooper
- Aug. 12, 2014 - Disabled veterans at college transition program puruse STEM, develop assistive technologies
- Aug. 8, 2014 - AAAS Science Updates: Smart Cement featuring Vinod Veedu
- July 29, 2014 - AAAS Science Updates: Thermal Battery featuring Sorin Grama
- July 28, 2014 - Paul Stamets on OMNI Reboot (Interview)
- July 18, 2014 - Inaugural Class of Invention Ambassadors Highlights Need for Innovation
- July 9, 2014 - AAAS Science Insider: MIT grad brings new refrigeration system to rural India
- July 9, 2014 - AAAS Science Updates: Fungal Filters featuring Paul Stamets
- July 8, 2014 - AAAS Science Updates: 3-D Breast Tissue featuring Karen Burg
- July 3, 2014 - USF’s Paul Sanberg Named National Invention Ambassador
- June 27, 2014 - Incoming vice president for research selected as AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassador
- June 26, 2014 - USF’s Paul Sanberg Named National Invention Ambassador
- June 18, 2014 - President Obama to Host First-Ever White House Maker Faire
- June 16, 2014 - Paul Stamets Joins the AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors
- June 16 2014 - Dr. Vinod Veedu named to inaugural class of seven Invention Ambassadors
- March 6, 2014 - Invention: The Invisible Hero, Yolanda Comedy at the 2014 Annual NAI Confererence (video)
- March 6, 2014 - Invention: The Invisible Hero, Yolanda Comedy at the 2014 Annual NAI Confererence (presentation
Honors and Achievements
July 26, 2015 - AAAS-Lemelson Invention Abmassador Paul Stamets honored with the Gordon and Tina Wasson Award - "The purpose of the Wasson Award is to recognize people with non-traditional academic backgrounds who have made outstanding contributions to the field of mycology, or who have widely transmitted significant scientific or aesthetic knowledge about fungi to the general public. Nominees for the award will be judged on the basis of the impact and quality of their contributions and on their sustained commitment to the field of mycology. At most a single award is given each year." Congratulations, Paul!
Resources and Articles
- August 2015 - The Courier-Journal, "Inventing the Innovation Ecosystem", Op-Ed written by Dr. Yolanda Comedy and AAAS-Lemelson Working Group member, Nagesh Rao
- June 2015 - AAAS Policy Forum, "Innovation, Invention, and Creativity", featuring Carol Dahl who spoke about impactful invention and the invention ecosystem.
- May 2015 - Goverment Executive Briefing, "Governments Own Venture Capitalist", featuring AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassador Working Group member, Nagesh Rao
- April 2015 - Global Philanthropy Forum, "Harnessing the Power of Invention", a talk on impact inventing with Carol Dahl & Manu Prakash
- March 2015 -Elsevier.com, "Call for Inventors to Serve as AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors", authored by Dr. Yolanda Comedy
- February 2015 - International Innovation, Issue 171, "Investing in Inventors" an interview with Dr. Yolanda Comedy
- December 2014 - Technology and Innovation, Volume 16, Numbers 3/4, "Invention: The Invisible Hero" authored by Dr. Yolanda Comedy.