Our activities focus on providing scientists and scientific institutions with the resources they need to have meaningful conversations with the public.
Public Engagement Activities
The AAAS Center for Public Engagement with Science and Technology works with science events and institutions to boost public awareness and understanding of the nature of science and the work of scientists. These activities increase public input into scientific research and policy agendas by facilitating a dialogue among policymakers, the general public and the scientific community.
We use a “glocal” strategy to encourage public engagement. Working with local scientists, opinion leaders, policymakers, school board members, clergy, and news media enables local public engagement regarding global science-related issues. Ongoing activities include:
- Family Science Days in collaboration with local universities, science centers and others during the AAAS Annual Meeting
- Meet The Scientist events at AAAS headquarters, science festivals and other locales
- Communicating Science workshops and website provide public communication resources for scientists and engineers
- Communicating Science seminar at the AAAS Annual Meeting. See videos from the 2013 and 2014 seminars.
- Learn about past and upcoming AAAS events and exhibits at the AAAS Art Gallery
Past Activities of the Center for Public Engagement for Science and Technology