Human Rights Activities
The Program is committed to advancing the human right to enjoy the benefits of scientific progress and its applications, engaging scientists, engineers and their professional associations in human rights efforts, monitoring and enhancing assessment of emerging human rights issues related to science and technology, and furthering the use of science and technology in support of human rights through a variety of projects, activities and publications.
- Geospatial Technologies Project The responsible application of geographic technologies across a range of human rights and humanitarian issues and how these technologies can be used to improve research and documentation. Learn more about this project
- Science and Human Rights Coalition The Coalition is a network of scientific and engineering membership organizations that recognize a role for scientists and engineers in human rights. The Coalition was launched in January 2009. Learn more about this project
- On-call Scientists This project connects scientists, engineers, and health professionals interested in volunteering their skills and knowledge with human rights organizations that are in need of technical expertise.Learn more about this project
- Article 15: Human Right to Science The Program is committed to promoting Article 15 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR) and engaging scientists in that effort.Learn more about this project
- Human Rights Action Network The Program calls attention to human rights abuses involving scientists through the circulation of Action Alerts issued by professional associations or human rights organizations.Learn more about this project
- The Social Responsibilities of Scientists and Engineers AAAS has received a grant to design and pre-test a global survey that will generate data about the views of scientists and engineers on their social responsibilities. Learn more about this project
- Study of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence among Older Populations in Situations of Conflict-Induced Displacement AAAS is partnering with HelpAge USA to conduct a study assessing the prevalence of sexual and gender-based violence among older populations. Learn more about this project
- Toolkit Identifying Best Practices on Human Rights Documentation AAAS has joined a Consortium to develop a toolkit identifying best practices in human rights documentation using science and technology. Learn more about this project
- Science and Technology for Human Rights in Colombia AAAS is partnering with Proceso de Comunidades Negras to strengthen the work of human rights defenders in Colombia. Learn more about this project
More About Our Human Rights Activities
- International Human Rights Day: Learn more
- Connections Between Science and Human Rights: Video
- SciTech for Human Rights: Video
- SciTech for Human Rights: Podcast Series
The Science and Human Rights Report (SHRR) is a monthly newsletter intended to keep scientists, engineers and human rights practitioners informed of news, program updates, upcoming events and new resources relevant to the intersection of science, technology and human rights.
- Geospatial Technologies and Human Rights Project Case Studies
- Defining the Right to Enjoy the Benefits of Scientific Progress and Its Applications. AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition Working Group on Service to the STEM Community. October 2013.
- Human Rights Projects: Guidelines for Scientists and Human Rights Organizations. AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition Working Group on Service to the Human Rights Community. October 2012.
- Intersections of Science, Ethics and Human Rights: The Question of Human Subjects Protection. AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition Working Group on Ethics and Human Rights. February 2012.
- Primer on Scientific Freedom and Human Rights. American Chemical Society and the AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition Working Group on Welfare of Scientists. 2012.
- Manual on Environmental Health Indicators and Benchmarks: Human Rights Perspectives. Karim Ahmed, Anya Ferring and Linda Ibarra Ruiz. 2005.
- The Right to Food: A Resource Manual for NGO’s. Sandra Epal-Ratjen and Rolf Kunnemann. 2004.
- Core Obligations: Building a Framework for Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. Audrey R. Chapman and Sage Russell. 2002.
- Promoting and Defending Economic, Social and Cultural Rights: A Handbook. Allan McChesney. 2000.
- Tesauro de Derechos Económicos, Sociales y Culturales: Terminología y Violaciones Potenciales.Stephen A. Hansen. 2000. Language: Spanish.
- Policy or Panic? The Flight of Ethnic Albanians from Kosovo, March-May 1999. Patrick Ball. 1999.
- Data Analysis for Monitoring Human Rights. Louise Spirer and Herbert F. Spirer. 1994.
- Guatemala: Memory of Silence. Report of the Commission for Historical Clarification, Conclusions and Recommendations (CEH).