To recognize scientists, journalists, and public servants for significant contributions to science and to the public’s understanding of science, the Association administers the awards listed below. All awards are presented at the AAAS Annual Meeting immediately following the award year.
Philip Hauge Abelson Award
The American Association for the Advancement of Science invites nominations for the 2015 AAAS Philip Hauge Abelson Prize. The Prize was established in 1985 by the AAAS Board of Directors to be awarded to someone who has "made signal contributions to the advancement of science in the United States" either as:
- a public servant, in recognition of sustained exceptional contributions to advancing science, or
- a scientist, whose career has been distinguished both for scientific achievement and forother notable services to the scientific community.
The award consists of an engraved medallion and an honorarium of $5,000. The winner will be selected by a five-member judging panel. The 2015 Philip Hauge Abelson Prize will be presented at the AAAS Annual Meeting in Washington, DC, February 11-15, 2016.
- Send us your name, e-mail address, mailing address, and phone number.
- The nominee’s name, e-mail address, mailing address, and phone number.
- A statement (no more than three pages) providing the rationale for the nomination.
- The candidate’s vita or résumé (no more than three pages).
All materials become the property of AAAS.
Please submit all information to:
AAAS Center of Science, Policy, and Society Programs
Attn: Ed Derrick
1200 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20005
E-mail: email@example.com 
All materials must be received by 1 September.
The 2014 recipient of the Abelson Prize was Bruce Alberts , recognized for advancing science in society through his "exemplary leadership and creativity in science and technology for the national welfare," for "inspiring young people to pursue distinguished careers in the sciences," and for "opening new frontiers in education and public policy."
List of past recipients .