Four divisions fulfill the AAAS mission within their respective territories.
To participate in division activities, members may contact the appropriate division’s executive officer.
Arctic | Caribbean | Pacific | Southwestern and Rocky Mountain
- President: Todd Radenbaugh, Department of Environmental Science, University of Alaska Fairbanks Bristol Bay Campus, Dillingham, AK
- President-Elect: Brian Himelbloom, School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Kodiak, AK
- Past-President: Lilian Alessa, The Resilience and Adaptive Management Group, University of Alaska Anchorage, Anchorage, AK
- Executive Secretary: Lawrence K. Duffy, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Alaska, P.O. Box 756160, Fairbanks, AK 99775-6160 (907-474-7525; fax: 907-474-5101; firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Territory: Serving Alaska and Canada’s Yukon and Northwest Territories and beyond.
- Founded: 1951, formerly known as the Alaska Division.
- Elections: A president and executive committee of representatives are elected by mail ballot each year.
- Primary Activities: An annual science conference usually takes place in September.
- Issues: Climate, environmental change, natural resources, telecommunications and northern people and cultures were among recent conference topics. The Arctic Division promotes science activities and communication among researchers, graduate students, wildlife managers, business leaders, rural residents, Alaska natives, high school teachers, students, and others.
- Contact: Lawrence K. Duffy (see above).
- Web site: arctic.aaas.org
- President: Carlos A. Torres-Ramos, Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus; email@example.com
- Past-President: Abel Baerga-Ortiz, Department of Biochemistry, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary-Treasurer: Lucy Gaspar, Box 22044, UPR Station, San Juan PR 00931 (787-764-0000, ext. 7203; fax: 787-274-8011; email@example.com )
- Territory: This division includes more than 500 members throughout Puerto Rico, Central America, islands of the Caribbean Basin, Venezuela, and southern Mexico.
- Founded: 1985.
- Elections: New officers are elected every two years.
- Primary Activities: Each year, the division convenes an annual meeting, usually in Puerto Rico.
- Issues: Water, island ecology, new energy sources, neuroscience and AIDS have been addressed at recent events. The division also works with the Puerto Rico Science Teachers Association.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (see above ).
- Web site: aaascaribbeandivision.wordpress.com
- Annual Meeting: Annual Meeting and Scientific Conference of the Caribbean Division, AAAS
Time and date to be determined
- President: Robert Chianese, Department of English; California State University; 18111 Nordhoff St.; Northridge, CA 93130; email@example.com
- President-Elect: Owen McDougal, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry; Boise State University; 1910 University Drive; Boise, ID 83725; 208-426-3964; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Past-President: Alissa Arp, College of Arts and Sciences; Southern Oregon University; 1250 Siskiyou Blvd., Ashland, OR 97520; 541-552-8173; email@example.com
- Executive Director: Roger G. Christianson, Department of Biology, Southern Oregon University, Ashland, OR 97520; 541-552-6747; FAX: 541-552-8457; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Territory: Serving over 27,000 members in California, Hawaii, Idaho, western Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, the Canadian provinces of British Columbia and Alberta, and all other countries bordering or lying within the Pacific Basin, with the exception of mainland Mexico south to Panama. Twenty-five organizations are affiliated with the division.
- Founded: 1912.
- Primary Activities: An annual meeting occurs in June. Awards for excellence, presented at the meeting, recognize outstanding student research contributions.
- Contact: Roger Christianson (see above).
- Web site: associations.sou.edu/aaaspd
- Annual Meeting: The 93rd Annual Meeting of the Pacific Division, AAAS
24 – 27 June 2012 • Boise Centre on the Grove, Boise, ID
Southwestern and Rocky Mountain Division
- President: George Perry, University of Texas San Antonio, George.Perry@utsa.edu
- President-Elect: open
- Past-President: Martin Quigley, University of Denver, Martin.Quigley@du.edu
- Executive Director: open
- Territory: In the United States: Arizona; Colorado; Kansas; Montana, east of the Continental Divide; Nebraska; New Mexico; North Dakota; Oklahoma; South Dakota; Texas; and Wyoming. In Mexico, the states of Chihuahua; Coahuila; Nuevo Leon; and Sonora. In Canada, the provinces of Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
- Founded: 1920.
- Primary Activities: An annual meeting occurs within the division’s mid-continent geographic region. The best student contributions are recognized with awards. In addition, the division bestows an annual award to an outstanding community college teacher.
- Contact: George Perry (see above)
- Web site:
- Annual Meeting: not scheduled for 2014