10 Rules for Working With Congress
- Know Your Goal.
- Understand How Congress Works and Makes Decisions.
- Conduct Detailed Background Research.
- Use Your Knowledge of the Legislative Process to Determine the Timing of Your Course of Action.
- Be Clear and Succinct.
- Understand Congressional Staff and Their Influence.
- Provide Concrete Suggestions.
- Present Support of Science as a Means to Meet National and Local Goals, Not an Entitlement.
- Be Willing to Say “I Don’t Know.”
- Follow Up Appropriately.
These rules are explained in detail in Working With Congress .