AAAS maintains affiliations with other membership organizations or professional societies that have similar aims or interest in supporting AAAS' objectives.
Procedures for Affiliation with AAAS
The president or other appropriate officer of an organization that wishes to affiliate or reaffiliate with AAAS should send a letter to the AAAS Executive Officer, stating why the organization wishes to be considered for affiliation and designating the AAAS sections in which the applicant would like to enroll—from one to generally not more than five. With the letter should be sent:
- A statement that gives the year of founding; the total number of members; a list of journals and other publications, indicating frequency of their publication; or other evidence of interest in or substantial support of research or teaching in science or the advancement of science.
- A brief history of the organization, including its aims
- A copy of its current constitution and bylaws.
- The names and addresses of current officers and the same information for the preceding four years.
- A statement of ways in which the applicant visualizes possibilities of cooperation with the AAAS toward the advancement of science.
- Certification that the applicant is committed to the principle of equal opportunity as given on page 147 of this Handbook.
- Fifteen copies of a recent issue of each periodical published by the organization.
- A statement that the organization qualifies for tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code.
No later than 1 October, the complete application should be mailed to the Executive Officer, AAAS, 1200 New York Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20005, for presentation to and consideration by the Committee on Council Affairs at its winter meeting. The Committee’s recommendations will be submitted to the Council at the following Annual Meeting in February. The Committee on Council Affairs requests that each prospective affiliate send an officer to the winter meeting at which its application will be considered. The applying organization may also elect to send an officer to the Council meeting where the final action will be taken. Prospective affiliates will be informed in advance of the exact times and locations of these meetings. Upon approval of the affiliation request by the Council, a copy of a recent list of the organization’s members and their addresses will be required.
[Adopted by the AAAS Council, 29 May 1986. ]
For questions regarding AAAS Affiliation, contact Jaime Stevens at email@example.com or 202-326-6635