Senior Scientists and Engineers
2012 Annual Meeting of the AAAS Senior Scientists and Engineers
The 2012 Annual Meeting of the AAAS Senior Scientists and Engineers was held on May 17 at AAAS headquarters. The featured presentation, “Next Generation Science Standards: Moving from the Framework to the Classroom,” included the following speakers:
- Heidi Schweingruber, Deputy Director, Board on Science Education, National Research Council
- Stephen Pruitt, Vice President, Content, Research & Development, Achieve, Inc.
- Anita O’Neill, Supervisor, Science, Technology and Engineering, Montgomery County (MD) Public Schools
The discussion was facilitated by Shirley Malcom, Head, AAAS Education and Human Resources.
The next presentations highlighted the AAAS/SSE STEM Volunteer Program that places scientists, engineers, and physicians in K-12 classroom in the Washington Metro area. Selected STEM professionals and their teacher partners described how they work together in elementary, middle, and high school classrooms. Don Rea, chair of the SSE STEM Volunteer initiative, was the facilitator.
The first discussion centered on high schools. Presenters were:
- Barbara Brown, Teacher, Marshall High School, Fairfax County (VA) Public Schools and Terry Hufford, Botanist
- Mary Yeates, Teacher, Magruder High School, Montgomery County (MD) Public Schools and Gerry Klebe, Aeronautical Engineer
The second presentation highlighted partnerships in elementary schools. Speakers were:
- Sandra Cornell, North Chevy Chase Elementary School, Montgomery County (MD) Public Schools and Sheila Taube, Biologist
- Laura Hansen, Jamestown Elementary School, Arlington (VA) Public Schools and Linda Billings, Social Scientist
- Danielle Bruno, Providence Elementary School, Fairfax County (VA) Public Schools and Diana Davis, Sociologist