Senior Scientists and Engineers
Revised 15 October 2010
Article I. Mission
The SSE organization is a cooperative effort for the purpose of applying the knowledge and experience of senior scientists and engineers to the needs of the nation. SSE is not an advocacy group and does not promote specific policies or programs. SSE is comprised of men and women who volunteer their services for worthwhile public activities. Projects requiring engineering and scientific expertise are identified in non-profit, governmental, and educational areas, to which volunteers can make worthwhile contributions.
Article II. Membership
Membership is open to senior scientists, engineers, educators, physicians, and other professionals who volunteer their services to support the needs of government, education, and communities.
Article III. Organization
- The organization operates under the aegis of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). It is managed by an Executive Committee comprised of the SSE Chairman, SSE Vice Chairs, and a AAAS representative. The AAAS representative serves as an ex-officio member.
- The SSE Executive Committee is responsible for the general oversight of the SSE and for assuring adherence to the mission of the organization (see Article I)
- The SSE Chairman serves as SSE Executive Committee Chair. The SSE Executive Committee is responsible for:
- developing and recommending policy and operational guidelines for volunteer activities;
- identifying and recommending procedures and timetables to strengthen and expand the organization; and
- establishing Ad Hoc Task Groups and Subcommittees as needed.
Article IV. Relationship with AAAS
A Memorandum of Understanding defines and governs the relationship between the SSE and AAAS.
Article V. Meetings and Reports
- Membership meetings are held at least annually. The SSE Chairman may call other meetings as necessary.
- The SSE Executive Committee holds at least two regular meetings a year and may meet at other times as necessary.
- The SSE Chairman reports periodically to the members.
|Mail:||AAAS Senior Scientists and Engineers
1200 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20005