Reports from CAIP Affiliates:
South African Statistical Association
MISSION AND GOALS
The mission of the Association is to foster the study and knowledge of statistical theory and its application towards improving the quality of life of all South Africans.
The Association will accomplish this mission:
- by creating a forum for attracting and nurturing statisticians in South Africa, and advancing their interests;
- by actively participating in appropriate processes and structures which impact on South African society;
- by promoting public understanding of those statistical concepts which enhance critical faculties and effective citizenship, and fostering public appreciation of sound statistical practice;
- by being accessible to, and supportive of, the users of statistics in the broader community;
- and by actively cooperating with organizations and societies associated with disciplines that are broadly related to statistics.
The Association gives financial and other support for research in statistical theory and its applications; arranges an annual conference and communicates with members by means of the SASA NEWSLETTER, the official newsletter, and by making available to members the SOUTH AFRICAN STATISTICAL JOURNAL (SA Statist. J), the official journal, and/or any other publication.
SASA annually awards 4 bursaries to students on merit, need and excellence. Also, SASA awards prizes to students submitting projects at the 3rd year and Honours level.
SASA works in association with ICOTS, ISI and the IBS.
SASA holds an annual conference for members and non-members, where the AGM is held.
The Executive Council meets four times a year. Each area in the RSA forms a chapter as needed.
There are three Committees; (1) the Education Committee that meets once a year; and the Careers & Official Statistics Committees that meet as required.Publications:
The SASA NEWSLETTER is published four times a year, and the SOUTH AFRICAN STATISTICAL JOURNAL (SA Statist. J), the official journal, twice a year.