Center of Science, Policy and Society Programs: AAAS Dialogue on Science, Ethics and Religion
AAAS Dialogue on Science, Ethics and Religion
Community Dialogue Submission Guidelines
DoSER is seeking articulate, well-reasoned essays that challenge readers to consider various dimensions of science, ethics, and religion. A selection of these essays will be posted on our website. We invite you to submit essays that are representative of constructive dialogue and contribute to greater understanding within and between scientific and religious communities. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Some example questions worth pondering:
- How can science address ethical challenges facing society, particularly environmental threats, human health, and social inequality?
- How does science inform human meaning, values, and beliefs?
- How does natural science relate to other academic disciplines such as the humanities, social sciences, the arts, and theology?
- How are developments in science and technology shaping society today?
- What kinds of questions can science investigate? What kinds of answers can science offer?
We are not looking for highly technical essays intended only for a specialist audience, nor do we seek emotionally-charged opinion pieces. Instead our aim is to encourage informative, civil, and constructive dialogue between people who have a range of perspectives about science, ethics, and religion, and are eager to listen and learn from each other.
Here are the themes that DoSER is currently exploring:
- Neuroscience, Brain, and Mind
- Physics and the Cosmos
- Earth and the Environment
- Life Sciences
- History and Philosophy of Science
Essays may be submitted to DoSER in the form below. Please include your full name, affiliation and email with your submission. We especially welcome submissions from students of any relevant discipline. Essays should be no more than 3000 words and be respectful of others and comprehensible to a non-academic audience. Citations may be included when appropriate. DoSER expects to receive many submissions. While we cannot post every essay we receive, we will post a small, representative sample of submissions to encourage further thought and discourse. Thank you for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you!
If you have questions, please contact as us at firstname.lastname@example.org