Center of Science, Policy and Society Programs: AAAS Dialogue on Science, Ethics and Religion
AAAS Dialogue on Science, Ethics and Religion
News & Events: Conferences & Forums
Genomics, Robotics, and Nanotechnology:
Science and religion converse on the shape of the future
San Francisco, CA
Sponsored by AAAS, the Episcopal Working Group on Science, Technology and Faith and Grace Cathedral
A panel from various disciplines and faith positions responded to a talk on "Genomics, Robotics, and Nanotechnology" given by Bill Joy, co-founder and Chief Scientist at Sun Microsystems. Joy worries about unanticipated effects when technology becomes increasingly life-like and capable of producing cascading effects.
- Bill Joy Lecture
Senior Scientist and Co-Founder of Sun MicroSystems.
-- 35 minute talk by Joy at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco, CA. In RealVideo.
- Panel Discussion
- Kenneth Culver - Novartis Pharmaceuticals
- Philip Clayton - Dept. of Philosophy, Sonoma State
- Manuela Veloso - Robotics Insitute, Carnegie Mellon
- James Heath, Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry, UCLA
- Audrey Chapman, AAAS DoSER
- Question and Answer Session