University of Ottawa chemistry student Steven Maquire explains time in his winning entry for the Flame Challenge. [Courtesy of Science Isn't Scary ] Alan Alda today announced the winners of Stony Brook University’s Flame Challenge contest, in which scientists had to explain “what is time?” in a way...
384 Related Result(s)
- For all media queries, please contact the AAAS Office of Public Programs , 202-326-6440, firstname.lastname@example.org. Center for Advancing Science and Engineering Capacity Daryl Chubin, Director email@example.com Center for Careers in Science and Technology Richard Weibl, Director firstname.lastname@example.org 202-326-6674
- Organized loosely around the theme “desert science,” the annual meeting of the AAAS Pacific Division is expected to draw hundreds of science students, faculty, professionals and members of the public to the University of Nevada Las Vegas campus, 16-19 June.
- The patent system does not promote innovation and should be scaled back drastically, an economist argued at the recent AAAS Forum on Science and Technology Policy. He was immediately challenged in a lively debate by two long-time patent specialists who defended the system.
- Anant Agarwal, president of edX, speaking at the AAAS 2013 S&T Forum. [Credit: AAAS/Robert Beets]
- Hefty federal deficits in Canada and the United States pose a significant threat to fundamental, basic research as some policymakers seem to value near-term, industry-focused science more highly. That’s short-sighted and a shame, wrote AAAS CEO Alan Leshner in a 19 May Op-Ed in the Toronto Star .
- A measure developed to assess the quality of scientific journals has distorted how research is evaluated, and should be not be used to judge an individual’s work, Science Editor-in-Chief Bruce Alberts writes in the 17 May issue of the journal.
- When scientists participate in international collaborations, they must contend with a set of challenges that can be far more daunting than those posed by the research itself, according to a new report prepared by the Association of American Universities, the Association of Public and Land-grant...
- Freeman Hrabowski