Those in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medicine (STEM) understand the benefit of diversity. We also know that biases, including those within colleges and universities, have marginalized many different groups and denied opportunities in STEM. How do we untie ourselves from these practices? How do we give ourselves access to the full range of talent for STEM?
Help AAAS with its bold new initiative, STEM Equity Achievement (SEA) Change, effecting institutional transformation in support of diversity and inclusion, especially in colleges and universities.
Your donation will support one of the three pillars of SEA Change:
SEA CHANGE INSTITUTE
The Institute will offer:
- a research repository — we ask that member institutions be evidence-based and thoughtful in their programming and their change efforts, and the Institute helps self-assessment teams find the best available evidence
- online and face-to-face training, from training modules to courses to convenings
SEA CHANGE COMMUNITY
The Community will be a digital platform for colleges and universities, funders, business and industry, and other stakeholders committed to diversity to:
- share information, research, and best practices
- build partnerships and collaborations to nurture the talent pool for STEM
SEA CHANGE AWARDS
A recognition system where colleges and universities, as well as their schools and departments, are acknowledged for their work on true institutional reform supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The process, inspired by the Athena SWAN and Race Equality Charters in the UK, includes:
- Voluntary self-assessment using criteria based on SEA Change Principles
- Identification of barriers preventing inclusion and equity in STEM across institutions and departments
- Developing an action plan to address barriers
- Having action plans and progress independently assessed by a panel of experts to receive appropriate recognition
Thank you in advance for your support.