AAAS Awards and Prizes
To recognize scientists, engineers, authors, journalists, and public servants for significant contributions to science and the public’s understanding of science, the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) sponsors a wide range of awards and prizes.
Nominations will be accepted until August 15th.
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is committed to equal opportunity for all persons, without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected categories. AAAS seeks as diverse a pool of award nominations as possible, including as well a wide range of disciplines, institutional types, and geographical locations.
- AAAS Award for Public Engagement with ScienceRecognizes scientists and engineers who have made outstanding contributions to the “popularization of science"Learn more about this award
- AAAS Early Career Award for Public Engagement with ScienceRecognizes early-career scientists and engineers who have demonstrated excellence in their contributions to public engagement with science activitiesLearn more about this award
- AAAS Award for Science DiplomacyRecognizes an individual, or team of individuals, in the scientific and engineering or foreign affairs communities making an outstanding contribution to furthering science diplomacyLearn more about this award
- AAAS Award for Scientific Freedom and ResponsibilityHonors scientists, engineers, and their organizations whose exemplary actions have served to foster scientific freedom and responsibilityLearn more about this award
- AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Awards Honor distinguished reporting on science by professional journalists. The awards, an internationally recognized measure of excellence in science journalism for a general audience, go to individuals (rather than institutions, publishers, or employers) for coverage of the sciences, engineering, and mathematicsLearn more about this award
- AAAS Mentor Award Honors a AAAS member who has mentored significant numbers of students from underrepresented groups in science and engineering fields, or has worked to increase the diversity of students pursuing and completing doctoral studies in the sciences. The award is intended for early- to mid-career individualsLearn more about this award
- AAAS Mentor Award for Lifetime Achievement Honors a AAAS member who, over a period of 25 years or more, has successfully mentored significant numbers of students from underrepresented groups in science and engineering fields, or has worked to increase the diversity of students pursuing and completing doctoral studies in the sciencesLearn more about this award
- AAAS Newcomb Cleveland Prize Is awarded to the author or authors of an outstanding paper published in the Research Articles or Reports sections of Science that includes original research data, theory, or synthesis; is a fundamental contribution to basic knowledge or is a technical achievement of far-reaching consequence; and is a first-time publication of the author’s own workLearn more about this award
- AAAS Philip Hauge Abelson Prize Recognizes an individual who has made exceptional contributions to the advancement of science as a public servant, or a scientist who has been distinguished for both scientific achievement and other notable services to the scientific communityLearn more about this award
- AAAS/Subaru SB&F Prizes for Excellence in Science Books Recognize outstanding science writing and illustration in books for children and young adultsLearn more about this award