Three divisions fulfill the AAAS mission within their respective territories.
To participate in division activities, members may contact the appropriate division’s executive officer.
- President: Philip Loring, School of Environment and Sustainability, University of Saskatchewan
- Past-President: Todd Radenbaugh, University of Alaska Fairbanks Bristol Bay Campus
- Executive Secretary: Lawrence K. Duffy, College of Natural Science and Mathematics, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK 99775-6160 (907-474-7525; email@example.com)
- Territory: The Arctic Division of AAAS is open and accessible to all scientific scholars who are working on Arctic, Alaskan, Canadian, northern or Antarctic issues, and seeks to help them communicate their interests and discoveries to others.
- Founded: 1951, formerly known as the Alaska Division.
- Elections: A president and executive committee of representatives are elected by mail ballot each year.
- Primary Activities: An annual science conference usually takes place in October, often through co-sponsorship with other Arctic / Northern-focused meetings.
- Issues: Climate, environmental change, natural resources, Arctic Health, Arctic Policy and northern people and cultures were among recent conference topics. An overarching goal of the division is to promote inter- and transdisciplinary research that engages the arts, education, natural, and social sciences. We promote activities and communication among researchers, graduate students, wildlife managers, business leaders, rural residents, Alaska Natives, high school teachers, students, and others.
- Contact: Lawrence K. Duffy (see above).
- Web site: arctic.aaas.org
- Annual Meeting: 2018 Arctic Science Conference – October 9, 2018 at the University of Saskatchewan. The meeting is being held in tandem with the Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation (CRRF)’s annual meeting, which runs from October 10-12. The conference theme is Health and Shared Prosperity in the North. More information can be found at the conference website here: saskatoon2018.crrf.ca
- President: Juan S. Ramírez-Lugo, Universidad de Puerto Rico Recinto de Rio Piedras, Departamento de Biología, P.O. Box 23360, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00931; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Past-President: Carlos A. Torres-Ramos, Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus; email@example.com
- Territory: This division includes more than 500 members throughout Puerto Rico, Central America, islands of the Caribbean Basin, Venezuela, and southern Mexico.
- Founded: 1985
- Elections: New officers are elected every two years.
- Primary Activities: Each year, the division convenes an annual meeting, usually in Puerto Rico.
- Issues: Water, island ecology, new energy sources, neuroscience and AIDS have been addressed at recent events. The division also works with the Puerto Rico Science Teachers Association.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web site: aaascaribbeandivision.wordpress.com
- Annual Meeting: Annual Meeting and Scientific Conference of the Caribbean Division, AAAS
Time and date to be determined
- President: Vilupanur Ravi, Professor and Chair Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, California Polytechnic University, Pomona, CA 91768; email@example.com
- President-Elect: Crystal Goldman, UC San Diego Library, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Past-President: Matthew James, Department of Geosciences, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA 94928; email@example.com
- Executive Director: Roger G. Christianson, Department of Biology, Southern Oregon University, Ashland, OR 97520; 541-552-6747; FAX: 541-552-8457; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Territory: Serving over 30,000 members in California, Hawaii, Idaho, western Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, the Canadian provinces of British Columbia and Alberta, and all other countries bordering or lying within the Pacific Basin, with the exception of mainland Mexico south to Panama.
- Founded: 1912.
- Primary Activities: An annual meeting occurs in June. Awards for excellence, presented at the meeting, recognize outstanding student research contributions.
- Contact: Roger Christianson (see above).
- Web site: associations.sou.edu/aaaspd
- Annual Meeting: The 99th Annual Meeting of the Pacific Division • June 11 - 15, 2018 • Cal Poly Pomona, Pomona, California