2023 Application Submission Period: Opens January 2022
2023 Call for Applications: Marion Milligan Mason Award for Women in the Chemical Sciences
The objective of the Mason Award is to kick-start the research career of promising future senior investigators in the chemical sciences. The Marion Milligan Mason Fund will provide four to five grants of $55,000 every other year to women researchers engaged in basic research in the chemical sciences. Awards are for women who are starting their academic research careers. In addition to research funding, the program will provide leadership development and mentoring opportunities.
Applicants must be women who:
- Earned a Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, physiology, or any chemistry related field.
- Are early in a research career as teaching or research staff with 10 or fewer years since earning a Ph.D, at the time of application (postdoctoral fellows are not eligible)
- Are teaching or research staff members originating independent research at an American Ph.D.-granting institution.
- Are American-born, naturalized citizens or permanent residents.
Applicants must have a "full-time" career-track appointment. More than one applicant from the same institution can apply for this award, provided that each application is scientifically distinct.
Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows are not eligible for this award.
Applications and supporting documents submitted for consideration for the awards will include:
- An application form and budget.
- A five (5) page research proposal.
- Four (4) letters of recommendation, including one letter from a top-level administrator at the applicant’s institution.
The awardees are required to participate in an award ceremony in Washington, DC and in professional development activities. Awardees are expected to begin their proposed research around January 2023 and end on or before January, 2025. For more details about the the award check out the FAQs.
This award is funded by a bequest from the Marion Milligan Mason Fund. As a chemist and AAAS member since 1965, the late Marion Tuttle Milligan Mason wanted to support the advancement of women in the chemical sciences. Dr. Milligan also wanted to honor her family's commitment to higher education for women, as demonstrated by her parents and grandfather, who encouraged and sent several daughters to college.
The date when proposals are due is TBD, 2022, midnight Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) and awards will be announced on or before December 2022. Proposals should be submitted via the online application system (a link will be provided on this webpage).
If you have questions, please e-mail email@example.com
To learn more about the Marion Milligan Mason Award for Women in the Chemical Sciences program and past recipients, please visit: http://www.aaas.org/masonaward