2023 Call for Applications: CLOSED
The objective of the Mason Award is to kick-start the research career of promising future senior investigators in the chemical sciences. The Marion Milligan Mason Fund will provide four to five grants of $55,000 every other year to women researchers engaged in basic research in the chemical sciences. Awards are for women who are starting their academic research careers. In addition to research funding, the program will provide leadership development and mentoring opportunities.
Applicants must be women who:
- Earned a Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, physiology, or any chemistry related field.
- Are early in a research career as teaching or research staff with 10 or fewer years since earning a Ph.D, at the time of application (postdoctoral fellows are not eligible)
- Are teaching or research staff members originating independent research at an American Ph.D.-granting institution.
- Are American-born, naturalized citizens or permanent residents.
Applicants must have a "full-time" career-track appointment. More than one applicant from the same institution can apply for this award, provided that each application is scientifically distinct.
Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows are not eligible for this award.
Applications and supporting documents submitted for consideration for the awards will include:
- An application form.
- A one (1) page overview of why you are applying and the potential impact on your research and professional development.
- A five (5) page research proposal.
- A one (1) page budget.
- Four (4) letters of recommendation, including one letter from a top-level administrator at the applicant’s institution, one from the applicants supervisor or mentor, one from a post doc advisor or other advisor, and one from a colleague.
The awardees are required to participate in an:
- Orientation and professional development event in December 2022, held virtually, and an
- Award ceremony at the 2023 AAAS Annual Meeting in February
Awardees are expected to begin their proposed research around January 2023 and end on or before January, 2025. For more details about the the award check out the FAQs.
Proposals were due by March 18, 2022, midnight Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) and awards will be announced on or before December 2022.
If you have questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn about the past recipients of the Marion Milligan Mason Award for Women in the Chemical Sciences, please visit: https://www.aaas.org/awards/mason-award/recipients