The American Association for the Advancement of Science’s Center for Scientific Evidence in Public Issues (AAAS EPI Center), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Water (EPA OW), and the White House hosted the first in a series of webinars that will highlight regional examples of green infrastructure and nature-based solutions. In this event, speakers discussed their work across the Mid-Atlantic and the Chesapeake Bay to plan and implement unique green infrastructure and nature-based solutions.
David J. Hayes, Special Assistant to the President for Climate Policy, provided a keynote address. The expert panelists shared their unique, regional experiences planning and implementing green infrastructure and nature-based solutions in the Mid-Atlantic and Chesapeake Bay region. Additionally, speakers shared opportunities, challenges, barriers, and lessons learned from the design and planning to implementation to operations and maintenance of green infrastructure and nature-based solutions. This 90-minute event is one in a series of regionally-based webinars, including New England (recording available), the Gulf Coast and southeastern states, the Great Lakes, the Southwest, and the Northwest.
This virtual event was recorded and open to the public, as well as federal and state employees, municipal and county leadership, local water leaders, municipal and county agencies, local practitioners, and community advocacy groups and community members.
In March 2022, the AAAS EPI Center and US EPA Office of Water hosted a discussion series that highlighted opportunities, challenges, barriers, and lessons-learned from the design and planning to implementation to operations and maintenance of green infrastructure and nature-based solutions from different perspectives. The first session featured non-governmental organizations (NGO) and community perspectives. The second session was co-hosted by the Environmental Council of States (ECOS) and highlighted perspectives from states and municipalities.
Welcome and Keynote Address
- David J. Hayes, Special Assistant to the President for Climate Policy, White House Climate Policy Office
- Matt Johnson, Branch Chief, Green Infrastructure Incentives and Assessment Branch, District of Columbia Department of Energy & Environment | Presentation
- Jeffrey King, Deputy National Lead and Program Manager, Engineering With Nature® Program, US Army Corps of Engineers | Presentation
- Krystal Laymon, Deputy Director for Climate Resilience, White House Council on Environmental Quality
- Samantha Rachko, Life Scientist and a Grants Project Officer, State and Watershed Partnerships Section, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3 | Presentation
Download AAAS EPI Center Regional Reflections- Mid Atlantic and Chesapeake Bay Speaker Bios (PDF) to learn more about the speakers at this event.
There was a question and answer session following the expert presentations.
Please direct questions to the AAAS EPI Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Webpage photo courtesy of NOAA’s National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science.