AAAS Multidisciplinary Working Groups (MWGs) aim to leverage the multidisciplinary strengths, advisory perspective and knowledge of AAAS to address a timely and high-impact issue, with the goal of developing actionable steps to enact change in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine (STEMM).
The Empowering Career Pathways in STEMM MWG (ECP MWG) will convene to address the following major issues that have presented barriers to individuals entering STEMM careers and challenges to retaining talent:
- Exclusionary practices that limit entry points or access into STEM careers
- Disincentives for individuals wanting to make career changes
- Unrealistic goals for success in STEMM professions
- Disconnects between formal training or education and on-the-job competencies.
The ECP MWG is charged with evaluating opportunities for change within the scientific enterprise to support diverse career growth and achievement, including:
- Creating new and flexible entry points and intersections for STEMM careers
- Challenging traditional benchmarks for success
- Changing material and non-material incentives for recruiting and retaining talent
- Cultivating and respecting the whole person by supporting professional and personal development.
- Katherine Bailey; The Kavli Foundation
- Monica Ramirez Basco, Ph.D.; Clinical Psychologist, Author, Citizen Scholar
- Matthew L. Blank, Ph.D.; Assistant Professor; Center for Educational Outreach, Baylor College of Medicine
- Randi Chmielewski; Rita Allen Foundation
- Endia J. Crabtree, Ph.D., B.C.M.A.S., C.D.P.; Senior Clinical Evaluation Scientist, Clinical Product Risk, Boston Scientific Corp.; Board Certified Medical Affairs Specialist; Certified Diversity Professional
- Joel Ducoste, Ph.D.; Associate Dean of Faculty Advancement and Professor of Environmental Engineering, North Carolina State University
- Rachel A. Figard, M.S.; Ph.D. Student and Graduate Research Associate, Engineering Education Systems and Design; Arizona State University
- Gia Grier McGinnis, DrPH; Executive Director, Center for Community, Service, and Justice & The York Road Initiative, Loyola University Maryland
- Giovanna Guerrero-Medina, Ph.D.; Executive Director, Ciencia Puerto Rico; Director for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Wu Tsai Institute at Yale and Yale School of Medicine
- Jeremiah A Henning, Ph.D.; Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, University of South Alabama
- Robert Hickey, Ph.D.; Professor of Geography, Central Washington University; Executive Director, AAAS-Pacific Division
- Piyush Kumar, Ph.D.; Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Environmental Medicine and Public Health, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai; and Associate Editor, Journal of Science Policy and Governance
- Charla Lambert, Ph.D.; Diversity Equity & Inclusion Officer, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory; President, SACNAS (Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science)
- Craig Milgrim, M.S.; Professor Emeritus, Biology; Trustee, Board of Trustees; San Diego Community College District
- Sumali Pandey, Ph.D.; Associate Professor, Minnesota State University Moorhead
- Glenda M. Prime, Ph.D.; Professor of Science Education; Dean, School of Education and Urban Studies and Director of the Center for the Elimination of Educational Disparities, Morgan State University
- Ashley L. Ruba, Ph.D.; UX Researcher, Meta
- Bonnielin Swenor, Ph.D., M.P.H.; Director, Johns Hopkins Disability Health Research Center; Associate Professor, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
- Jacob Swiatek; Program Manager, Envisioneering Inc.
- Susi (Sturzenegger) Varvayanis; Cornell University