Each year, AAAS – the world’s largest multi-disciplinary science society – convenes the community of leading scientists, educators, policymakers, and journalists to discuss cutting-edge developments in science, technology, and policy at its Annual Meeting. On the four-day agenda taking place March 2-5 in Washington DC is a vast array of groundbreaking multi-disciplinary research, workshops, lightning talks, e-poster sessions, an expo hall, and more.
For the science policy community, of special note on the agenda is the celebration of the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships (STPF) program’s 50th anniversary. To help ensure that public policy is made with the consideration of evidence and through methodical processes and approaches, STPF fosters a network of science and engineering leaders who are prepared to develop and execute solutions to address societal challenges.
“The theme for the 2023 AAAS Annual Meeting, “Science for Humanity,” fits in perfectly with the STPF mission of helping ensure that evidence informs public policy,” said STPF Director Rashada Alexander (2009-11 Executive Branch Fellow at the National Institutes of Health). “I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to celebrating 50 years of STPF and science policy at the AAAS Annual Meeting along with fellow fellows, partner societies, host agencies, and friends!”
In addition to scientific research findings, STPF has planned many activities centered around science in and for policy, and particularly around you – alumni!
- March 2: STPF Welcome Speed Networking. Exclusively for current and alumni STPF fellows, this is a fun way to meet fellow fellows at the meeting. It’s been several years since we’ve met in person. Start day one of your Annual Meeting with familiar faces, and new ones! RSVP here.
- March 2-5:
- STPF@50 Virtual. If you can't make it to the meeting, we will bring some action to you! Stay tuned for more. This digital offering is open to in-person attendees as well.
- Alumni Lounge. This space in the exhibit hall is reserved for you: come recharge – metaphorically and electronically. Stop by throughout the meeting for daily coffee chats, STPF group photos, and special giveaways. And on day 1 of the meeting, you are invited to the opening reception with cake and cocktails. Light refreshments will also be waiting for you throughout the meeting.
- STPF@50 Scientific Sessions. This panel series will highlight the advances in the development of science policy as a discipline and its adoption and application across professional sectors. From “Out of the Lab, Into the Community,” to “The Future of Science Policy,” learn about the full series here.
- March 3: So You Want to be an S&T Policy Fellow? This workshop if for anyone who wants to learn what it’s like, what it takes, and how to apply to become an S&T Policy Fellow. Share it with your networks.
- March 4: STPF@50 Celebratory Mixer. The annual science policy networking mixer will be all that and more this year for our anniversary! Don’t miss this reception – cocktail attire encouraged. RSVP today (attendees do not need to be registered for the Annual Meeting).
Share your experience. Share your science policy expertise and fellowship experience throughout the meeting. Volunteer on this form for an opportunity to meet prospective applicants in the STPF recruitment booth in the exhibit hall.
Promote your session. If you are facilitating or participating in a session, share it with us on this form and our team will promote your session whenever possible.
The scientific endeavor aims to provide findings, models, tools, and advances to better understand and address the myriad complex challenges facing society. Meeting this goal requires collective objectivity determined by a wealth of individual and diverse perspectives and experiences—a sample as broad as the diversity of disciplines in the scientific endeavor itself. Highlighting the importance and just integration of our multiplicity, the 2023 AAAS Annual Meeting will feature groundbreaking multi-disciplinary research – research that advances knowledge and responds to the needs of humanity.
Register now. While Annual Meeting registration is not required to attend the STPF@50 Celebratory Mixer, meeting registration is required for other sessions and events. There is an option for a free “basic access” registration. We look forward to celebrating STPF@50 with you at the meeting!