More than 3,200 strong, fellows end up in some of the most varied and interesting places.
One of these is the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), established by Congress in 1976 to advise the President on the effects of science and technology on domestic and international affairs. OSTP ensures that executive branch policies are informed by science, and works with the private sector, state and local governments, the science and higher education communities, and other nations toward this end.
Many OSTP staff are STPF alumni: 16. A number of them also served at OSTP during their fellowships. One additional OSTP member is a current fellow installed at PCAST – the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. PCAST is an advisory group of the nation’s leading scientists and engineers who directly advise the President and make policy recommendations. Among the members of the Council is Rosina Bierbaum (1980-81 Executive Branch Fellow).
One OSTP staffer who has been in the headlines this year is DJ Patil (2004-05 Executive Branch Fellow), deputy chief technology officer for data policy and chief data scientist. In one of his first public addresses made at the AAAS 2015 Forum on Science & Technology Policy, he recounted a fond memory about how the first tie he ever bought was for his STPF fellowship. In his latest open memo, Patil reported on his first six months at OSTP.
“Our relationship with OSTP has been tremendously productive, particularly with respect to that office’s role in ensuring that all executive branch agencies work together to implement policies that are based on sound science,” said STPF Director Cynthia Robinson. “The connections between OSTP staff and STPF current and alumni fellows across agencies are many and fruitful.”
OSTP Staff Who Are STPF Alumni
Office of the Chief Technology Officer
- Deputy Chief Technology Officer for Data Policy and Chief Data Scientist - DJ Patil
- Policy Advisor - Kristen Honey
Environment & Energy
- Assistant Director, Climate Adaptation and Ecosystems - Laura Petes
- Assistant Director, Environmental Health - Bruce Rodan
- Senior Policy Analyst, Energy Research and Development - Austin Brown
- Senior Policy Analyst, Energy, Water, and Ocean Sciences - Kelly Kryc
National Security & International Affairs
- Principal Assistant Director for National Security & International Affairs - Steve Fetter
- Assistant Director for National Health Security and International Affairs - Susan Coller-Monarez
- Assistant Director, Nuclear Energy and Nonproliferation - Kirsten Cutler
- Senior Policy Advisor, International Science and Technology - Mahlet Mesfin
- Assistant Director, Education and Learning Science - Danielle Carnival
- Assistant Director, Education and Physical Sciences - Meredith Drosback
- Senior Policy Advisor - Knatokie Ford
- Policy Analyst - Elizabeth Stulberg
Technology & Innovation
- Assistant Director, Biological Innovation - Robbie Barbero
- Senior Policy Advisor, Advanced Manufacturing - Megan Brewster
- AAAS Policy Fellow - Diana Pankevich (current fellow)