Applications and Nominations: AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors Program
INVENTORS HELP CHANGE THE WORLD!
Thank you for your interest in the AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors Program.
The AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors Program is now accepting applications and nominations for the 2017-2018 Class of Invention Ambassadors. The program strives to:
- Inspire a new and diverse generation of inventors dedicated to solving difficult global challenges
- Inform on the components needed to create inventions that sustainably solve global problems
- Influence policy makers, thought leaders & public
Invention Ambassadors should be "catalytic" mid-career inventors who have and demonstrate: (1) a high regard for the role of invention; (2) an invention track record; (3) an accomplished professional career; (4) a commitment to invention's role in impacting environmental sustainability; and (5) experience or interest in communicating with audiences through speaking engagements or written material.
Applicants may have inventions in any field; however scientific inventions are preferred.
There are no educational or patent requirements for applicants.
Ambassadorships are 12 months long (however opportunities will be provided to current and alumni ambassadors throughout the life of the program). Each Ambassador would be involved in:
- A mandatory 3-day orientation on July 19-21, 2017;
- Participate in pre-calls with our communications specialist, Randy Olson in preparation for the "Celebrate Invention" event on July 20th, where each Ambassador will deliver a 12-min talk;
- Advocacy opportunities and two strategically-selected public engagement activities arranged with/by AAAS. (Ambassadors' presentations will draw from personal stories/advice and messaging created by AAAS with the Lemelson Foundation and outside experts) or speak at one engagement and write a 1-2 page briefing paper on an agreed upon invention-oriented topic;
- An "end-of-the-program" symposium, to engage media, policy makers, and the public. The "transitioning" symposia will be held in a strategically chosen location to give Ambassadors the collective ability to inform policy makers, government, industry and non-profits and to help create a national conversation on the importance of invention.
Applications and Nominations are due by 11:59PM EST on March 31, 2017.
The application process will be in two phases. 1) All applications will be reviewed by a selection committee. 2) If your application is chosen for the final round, you must be available for an interview (remotely) during the week of May 18-19, 2017.
Selected applicants will be announced by June 1, 2017.
To learn more, please visit http://www.aaas.org/invention.
All are welcome to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, age, abilities, gender, sexual orientation, and religion.
Please visit our social media sites to further connect with our program: