Applications and Nominations: AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors Program
INVENTORS HELP CHANGE THE WORLD!
Thank you for your interest in the AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors Program.
Applications and Nominations for the 2018-2019 Class of Invention Ambassadors will open in November 2017!
The AAAS-Lemelson Invention Ambassadors Program strives to:
- Inspire a new and diverse generation of inventors dedicated to solving difficult global challenges
- Inform on the components needed to create inventions that sustainably solve global problems
- Influence policy makers, thought leaders & public
Invention Ambassadors should be "catalytic" mid-career inventors who have and demonstrate: (1) a high regard for the role of invention; (2) an invention track record; (3) an accomplished professional career; (4) a commitment to invention's role in impacting environmental sustainability; and (5) experience or interest in communicating with audiences through speaking engagements or written material.
Applicants may have inventions in any field; however scientific inventions are preferred.
There are no educational or patent requirements for applicants.
Ambassadorships are 12 months long (however opportunities will be provided to current and alumni ambassadors throughout the life of the program). Each Ambassador would be involved in:
- A mandatory 3-day orientation on July 2018;
- Participate in pre-calls in June and early July with Narrative Coach, Randy Olson in preparation for the "Celebrate Invention" event in July, where each Ambassador will deliver a 12-min talk;
- Advocacy opportunities and two strategically-selected public engagement activities arranged with/by AAAS. (Ambassadors' presentations will draw from personal stories/advice and messaging created by AAAS with the Lemelson Foundation and outside experts) or speak at one engagement and write a 1-2 page briefing paper on an agreed upon invention-oriented topic;
- An "end-of-the-program" symposium, to engage media, policy makers, and the public. The "transitioning" symposia will be held in a strategically chosen location to give Ambassadors the collective ability to inform policy makers, government, industry and non-profits and to help create a national conversation on the importance of invention.
The application process will be in two phases. 1) All applications will be reviewed by a selection committee. 2) If your application is chosen for the final round, you must be available for an interview (remotely) in May.
Selected applicants will be announced by June 2018.
To learn more, please visit http://inventionamb.org
All are welcome to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, age, abilities, gender, sexual orientation, and religion.
Please visit our social media sites to further connect with our program: