What is the AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassador Program?
The AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors program brings together 125 women from a variety of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics careers to serve as high-profile role models for middle school girls. STEM professionals use their skills in many fields – including research and development, sports and recreation, finance, fashion, gaming, engineering and manufacturing, entertainment, healthcare, retail, music, and more. The AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors program highlights women in STEM who are contributing in all these fields, showing girls the different career pathways they can pursue and how STEM impacts their lives every day. AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors will gather for in-person summits, create personal press kits that highlight their stories and take their outreach to the next level, be featured in original entertainment and media content, and engage with middle school girls in formal and informal educational spaces.
- AAAS announces the 125 AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors in AAAS News (9/9/2019)
- Read more about AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors in AAAS News (4/1/2019)
What will AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors do?
The program provides AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors with a national platform to tell their stories and inspire the next generation of STEM pioneers. As high-profile role models, AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors will share stories of their STEM journeys and the many ways in which they use science, technology, engineering, and math to solve problems and create new possibilities for the future.
AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors will have access to skill-building, media, and engagement opportunities during August 2019 - February 2021. AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors will receive an award of $5,000 and take part in the following activities:
- An in-person summit that will empower AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors take their outreach to the next level (the week of October 21-25, 2019). The summit will include personal press kit development (photo shoots and videography), as well as coaching and support from specialists in science communication, public engagement, media, diversity and inclusion, and STEM education. Inspirational VIP guests will also participate in the summit.
- Online engagement with each other and with a wider network of experts that will build on the in-person summit, strengthening AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors’ skills and supporting development of a community of dynamic women in STEM careers.
- Events celebrating and sharing the work of AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors.
- Original media content featuring women STEM professionals that will reach girls where they access content the most: on YouTube through partnerships with popular channels like GoldieBlox; on cable television shows; and on network television through a weekly series highlighting the STEM behind popular culture. In addition, the National Girls Collaborative Project will host a digital asset library that will provide access to photos and videos of AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors for nonprofit and educational use.
- Direct connections with middle school girls in their classrooms, in informal science education settings such as AAAS’s Family Science Days, museum exhibits about women in STEM professions, Girl Scouts of the USA programs, and on virtual platforms that allow AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors to have conversations with girls from across the United States.
How do I apply to be a AAAS IF/THEN Ambassador?
Support for the AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors
The AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors program is supported by IF/THEN, an initiative of Lyda Hill Philanthropies.