What is the AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassador Program?
The AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors program brings together 125 women from a variety of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) careers to serve as high-profile role models for middle school girls. AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors use their skills in many fields – including research and development, sports and recreation, finance, fashion, gaming, engineering and manufacturing, entertainment, healthcare, conservation, aerospace, and more. By highlighting women in STEM who are contributing in all these fields, the AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors program shows girls the different career pathways they can pursue and how STEM impacts their lives every day. AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors are taking their outreach to the next level through original entertainment and media content, and direct engagement with middle school girls in formal and informal educational spaces.
The IF/THEN® Collection is available to classrooms, the media, and non-profit/educational partners and shows “This is what a scientist looks like.TM” It includes photos, video clips, press kits, and other materials featuring AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors and other women in STEM.
What are AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors doing?
As high-profile role models, AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors share stories of their STEM journeys and the many ways they use science, technology, engineering, and math to solve problems and create new possibilities for the future.
AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors have access to skill-building, media, and engagement opportunities during their Ambassadorship. AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors received an award of $5,000 and take part in the following activities:
- An in-person summit that empowered AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors to take their outreach to the next level (the week of October 21-25, 2019). The summit included personal press kit development (photo shoots and videography), as well as coaching and support from specialists in science communication, public engagement, media, diversity and inclusion, and STEM education. Inspirational VIP guests also participated in the summit. View a recap of the summit above.
- Online engagement with each other and with a wider network of experts that builds on the in-person summit, strengthening AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors’ skills and supporting development of a community of dynamic women in STEM careers.
- Creating original media content featuring women STEM professionals that reaches girls where they access content the most: on YouTube through partnerships with popular channels like GoldieBlox and on cable television shows like Mission Unstoppable.
- IF/THEN® Collection: The National Girls Collaborative Project hosts a digital asset library that provides access to photos, videos, and other materials featuring AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors. The Collection is for nonprofit and educational use and enables easier access to imagery of diverse women in STEM. As a result, several Ambassadors are now featured in museum exhibits and on inspirational posters in classrooms around the country.
- Direct connections with middle school girls in their classrooms, in informal science education settings such as AAAS Family Science Days , Girl Scouts of the USA programs , and on virtual platforms that allow AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors to have conversations with girls from across the United States.
- Access to $10,000 in funding (per AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassador) to develop their own engagement, education, and media activities. Over one million dollars in mini grants have been awarded to AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors to develop and run public engagement with science activities that teach, inspire, and promote the next generation of women in STEM.
- Gallery of 3-D Printed Statues Designed to activate a culture shift among young girls and inspire them to pursue STEM careers, Lyda Hill Philanthropies®’ IF/THEN® Initiative will present the #IfThenSheCan – The Exhibit, a new monumental exhibit of the most women statues ever assembled in one location, at one time. The full statue exhibit will be unveiled in 2021, while various previews of the exhibit have been popping up around the country.
Where can I learn more?
- Find out about the many different engagement projects AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors are undertaking in AAAS News (11/17/2020)
- Women Innovators are becoming STEM ambassadors for girls in AAAS News (10/19/2019)
- AAAS announces the 125 AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors in AAAS News (9/9/2019)
- Read more about AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassadors in AAAS News (4/1/2019)
- Explore the IF/THEN® Collection
- Learn more about the overall IF/THEN® Initiative at ifthenshecan.org
Get in touch with us to invite AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors to participate in media, educational, and engagement activities that focus on middle school girls.
Will there be future classes of Ambassadors?
Applications are no longer being accepted for the AAAS IF/THEN® Ambassador program, and there are currently no plans to sponsor future Ambassadors.