Philip Hauge Abelson Award
The American Association for the Advancement of Science invites nominations for the 2018 AAAS Philip Hauge Abelson Prize. The prize was established in 1985 by the AAAS Board of Directors to be awarded to someone who has "made signal contributions to the advancement of science in the United States" either as:
- A public servant, in recognition of sustained exceptional contributions to advancing science; or
- A scientist, whose career has been distinguished both for scientific achievement and forother notable services to the scientific community.
The award consists of an engraved medallion and an honorarium of $5,000. The winner will be selected by a five-member judging panel. The 2018 AAAS Philip Hauge Abelson Prize will be presented at the AAAS Annual Meeting in Austin, TX, February 15-19, 2018.
Please provide the following:
- Your name, title, email address, mailing address, and phone number.
- The nominee’s name, title, email address, mailing address, and phone number.
- A statement (no more than three pages) providing the rationale for the nomination.
- The candidate’s vita or résumé (no more than three pages).
- AAAS membership status.
- Demographic information (optional).
All materials become the property of AAAS.
Please submit all information to:
Nicolle Rutledge at email@example.com
All materials must be received by 1 September.
The 2016 recipient of the Abelson Prize was Ioannis Miaoulis, who was honored for advancing science in society through his "innovative and passionate contributions to science," and for "his ability to educate and inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers" as well as "his leadership in addressing the critical need for scientific and technological literacy."
List of past recipients.