Questions to consider when hosting a workshop
- Who will attend?
- How many will attend?
- Where will it be held?
- Will all attendees be from the same field? From the same career level?
- Are there particular areas of communication that will be of interest/need for your group?
If your institution or organization is interested in hosting a workshop, please contact us for information on content, costs, and logistics. Our workshops can accommodate groups of 10 to 100 individuals.
The AAAS Communicating Science program requests the following setup from hosting organizations. If any of these recommendations cannot be met, please follow-up with AAAS staff to discuss alternate arrangements.
AAAS requires the following audiovisual equipment onsite to be provided by the host:
- Podium with microphone (as needed; lavalier microphone preferred)
- Audience microphone (recommended)
- LCD Projector
- Projection screen
- Computer with Microsoft PowerPoint, USB port, and internet access
- Video/audio projection capability through computer and audio hookup (for playing video with sound from laptop)
- Flip chart and markers (recommended)
- Handheld wireless microphone for groups larger than 50 attendees (recommended)
Venue and Room Set-up
- Please set the room for workshop participants to sit at round tables. Table linens can be helpful in creating a professional atmosphere/working space.
- Make sure there is sufficient space at the front of the room for a podium, a flip chart, and projection screen that is visible to all participants.
- Food and beverages (if provided) should be placed in the back of the workshop room or in an adjacent room.
Food and Beverage
Food and beverage service is not required but is typically appreciated by workshop participants. If offered, food and beverage service is provided by the hosting institution or their agent. We recommend:
- Coffee and water for the workshop duration, if possible.
- Full-day workshops: light breakfast items along with coffee and tea, lunch at midday, and a light snack during afternoon break.