Information for the 2020 AAAS Fellows Cycle
The Executive Office invites groups of three previously elected AAAS Fellows in good standing
to nominate eligible AAAS members for election as Fellows. The 2020 Fellows nomination cycle is currently open, and the deadline is May 8, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time.
A member whose efforts on behalf of the advancement of science or its applications are scientifically or socially distinguished and who has been a continuous member for the four-year period leading up to the year of nomination, may, by virtue of such meritorious contribution be elected a Fellow by the Council.
Examples of areas in which nominees may have made significant contributions are research; teaching; technology; services to professional societies; administration in academe, industry, and government; and communicating and interpreting science to the public. Fellows are elected annually by the AAAS Council from the list of approved nominations from the Section Steering Groups. AAAS strongly encourages nominating a full representation of communities that are underrepresented in science. This includes women, members of minority groups, and persons with disabilities.Fellows are expected to uphold the commonly held standards of professional ethics and scientific integrity.
Please review the details below for submission instructions.
- The deadline for receipt of all nomination materials is May 8, 2020, 11:59 p.m. Eastern time.
- Nomination packets must be complete and all nomination materials must be received by the deadline.
- Nominations received after the deadline or nomination packets with missing material at the time of the deadline will not be considered. No exceptions will be made.
Requirements for Sponsors:
- Only previously elected AAAS Fellows who are current in their membership and in good standing may serve as sponsors.
- No Fellow may serve as a sponsor on more than two 3-Fellow nominations in any given year.
- Only one of the three sponsors may be affiliated with the same institution as that of the nominee.
- Reminder for 2020: Each sponsor must also complete, sign and submit the "AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum" with their letter of support. Letters of support without addendums will not be considered.
Requirement for Nominees:
- Eligibility for nomination requires an individual to have been a continuous member (with no lapses in membership) of AAAS since December 31, 2016 or earlier. Members who joined after the December 31, 2016 cutoff date are not eligible for the 2020 cycle.
Verification of Eligibility:
- Verification of nominee eligibility is required in advance of submission. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the potential nominee’s name and institution to obtain verification.
Required Nomination Materials:
The primary sponsor is responsible for ensuring that all material is submitted by the deadline, including all three sponsor letters and accompanying addendums.
- A completed nomination form.
- Three sponsors must each submit a signed, supporting letter on letterhead along with a completed and signed "AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum." It is important that all three letters in support of a nominee be informational, with a clear indication of the areas in which a nominee has contributed and sufficient explanation of why election as a Fellow is justified. Sponsor letters without addendums will not be accepted. This material may be sent directly to the AAAS Executive Office or submitted with the full nomination packet.
- The full CV of the nominee must be attached, including a complete list of publications.
- A separate list of the top 10 most influential publications of the nominee must be attached.
You are strongly encouraged to submit the nomination packet well ahead of the deadline. If you submit a complete packet by April 1, 2020, our office will be able to check for completion and let you know whether there are any missing components. This will allow you time to correct any mistakes before the deadline.
If you submit a nomination packet close to the deadline, it will be reviewed in the order received and may not be checked for completion until the deadline has passed, which means there will be no time to correct any errors that could cause the nomination to be disqualified.
How to send the material:
Materials must be sent via email to email@example.com Electronic submission of nomination materials is required.
It is strongly preferred the full nomination materials are sent as one PDF in the following order:
- Nomination Form
- Recommendation letter from Primary Sponsor
- AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum from Primary Sponsor
- Recommendation letter from Secondary Sponsor
- AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum from Secondary Sponsor
- Recommendation letter from Tertiary Sponsor
- AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum from Tertiary Sponsor
- The full CV of the nominee, including a complete list of publications.
- A separate list of the top 10 most influential publications of the nominee
Emailed material must be received by May 8, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time.
If you have any questions on the 3-Fellow nomination process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-326-7030.