Information for the 2021 AAAS Fellows Cycle
The Executive Office invites groups of three previously elected AAAS Fellows in good standing to nominate eligible AAAS members for election as Fellows. The 2021 Fellows nomination cycle is open, and the deadline is April 28, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time.
A member whose efforts on behalf of the advancement of science or its applications are scientifically or socially distinguished and who has been a continuous member for the four-year period leading up to the year of nomination, may, by virtue of such meritorious contribution be elected a Fellow by the Council.
Examples of areas in which nominees may have made significant contributions are research; teaching; technology; services to professional societies; administration in academe, industry, and government; and communicating and interpreting science to the public. Fellows are elected annually by the AAAS Council from the list of approved nominations from the Section Steering Groups. AAAS encourages diverse nominations that include a fair representation of women, minorities and persons with disabilities. Fellows are expected to uphold the commonly held standards of professional ethics and scientific integrity.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR 2021: AAAS will be accepting nominations through our new online submission portal. We will no longer accept mailed or emailed nomination packets.
To access the submission portal please navigate to the following page: https://aaas3fellownom.secure-platform.com:443/a/solicitations/28/home
Please note: Potential nominees cannot serve as a designee of the Primary Sponsor.
For more information to better prepare ahead of submitting a nomination, please see below:
- The deadline for receipt of all nomination materials is April 28, 2021, 11:59 p.m. Eastern time.
- Nomination packets must be complete, and all nomination materials must be received by the deadline.
- Nominations received after the deadline or nomination packets with missing material at the time of the deadline will not be considered. No exceptions will be made.
Requirements for Sponsors:
- Only previously elected AAAS Fellows who are current in their membership and in good standing may serve as sponsors.
- No Fellow may serve as a sponsor on more than two 3-Fellow nominations in any given year.
- Only one of the three sponsors may be affiliated with the same institution as that of the nominee.
- Reminder for 2021: Each sponsor must also complete, sign and submit the "AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum" with their letter of support. Letters of support without addendums will not be considered.
Requirement for Nominees:
- Eligibility for nomination requires an individual to have been a continuous member (with no lapses in membership) of AAAS since December 31, 2017 or earlier. Members who joined after the December 31, 2017 cutoff date are not eligible for the 2021 cycle.
Verification of Eligibility:
- Verification of nominee eligibility is required in advance of submission. Please email email@example.com with the potential nominee’s name and institution to obtain verification.
Required Nomination Materials:
The primary sponsor is responsible for ensuring that all material is submitted by the deadline, including all three sponsor letters and accompanying addendums.
- The full CV of the nominee must be attached, including a complete list of publications.
- A separate list of the top 10 most influential publications of the nomineemust be attached.
- Contact and biographical information for the nominee
- Three active AAAS Fellows serving as sponsors must submit a signed, supporting letter on letterhead (via the primary sponsor) It is important that all three letters in support of a nominee be informational, with a clear indication of the areas in which a nominee has contributed and sufficient explanation of why election as a Fellow is justified.
- Please use the Letter of Support template if you do not have access to letterhead
- All three sponsors must submit a completed and signed "AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum." Sponsor letters without addendums will not be accepted.
All nomination materials must be uploaded in a PDF format. These include:
- Recommendation letter from Primary Sponsor
- AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum from Primary Sponsor
- Recommendation letter from Secondary Sponsor
- AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum from Secondary Sponsor
- Recommendation letter from Tertiary Sponsor
- AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum from Tertiary Sponsor
- The full CV of the nominee, including a complete list of publications.
- A separate list of the top 10 most influential publications of the nominee
You are strongly encouraged to submit the nomination packet well ahead of the deadline. If you submit a complete packet by April 1, 2021, our office will be able to check for completion and let you know whether there are any missing components. This will allow you time to correct any mistakes before the deadline.
If you submit a nomination packet close to the deadline, it will be reviewed in the order received and may not be checked for completion until the deadline has passed, which means there will be no time to correct any errors that could cause the nomination to be disqualified.
If you have any questions on the 3-Fellow nomination process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org