GSK Science in the Summer invites kids in the Washington, DC metro area to "Be an Engineer."
Learn about the work of these engineers through activities designed to solve real-world problems:
- Biomedical Engineer - Design a reaching tool to assist someone with limited mobility
- Electrical Engineer - Improve the design of a hospital buzzer to work better for patients
- Environmental Engineer - Design a system to keep rainwater from flooding a playground
- Structural Engineer - Design a strong lightweight bridge for a nature center hiking trail
GSK Science in the Summer is virtual at most DC metro area locations. AAAS worked with its GSK Science in the Summer partners (listed below) to distribute activity kits in a way that worked best for each location, following the guidance/protocols set by each organization and area.
- Alexandria Library
- Boys & Girls Club of Greater Washington
- Caroline County Library
- DC Public Library
- Laurel Historical Society
- Montgomery County Public Libraries (not participating in 2021)
- Prince George's County Memorial Library System
- Talbot County Free Library
Click on the partner links above to see current information about registration and obtaining activity kits.
If you missed the 2020 GSK Science in the Summer program, Be a Chemist, you can still access the online program to guide you through the activities. Parents/guardians can also download a paper copy here.