Seven fellows on Capitol Hill ushered in the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships (STPF) program back in 1973. Today, AAAS places more than 250 fellows each year across all branches of federal government.
Well over 3,000 strong, alumni conduct and communicate their science to support public policy in national and international arenas. They are leaders in government, academia, industry and the nonprofit sector. At the end of each fellowship year, about half of each year’s fellowship class remains in the policy arena; a quarter return to their previous field, and the other quarter strike out into new territory.
- Fellowship Focus: The STPF newsletter features stories about current and alumni fellows and STPF news and events. (Fellows: Submit a story.)
- FellowsCentral: This website houses information for the fellowship year and beyond including a searchable directory of current and alumni fellows. (Fellows: Login and update your profile, contact information and career moves.)
- Social Media: STPF is very social. Join us!
- Sci on the Fly: Written and edited by current and alumni fellows, this blog and podcast features posts by fellows on a vast array of science policy issues. (Fellows: Post a blog or podcast.)
- Affinity Groups: Managed by current and alumni fellows, affinity groups network, share resources, discuss and host events on specific issues and topics in science policy.
- Alumni events: STPF hosts gatherings across the country for education, networking, and fostering collaborative opportunities.
- Listservs: Our alumni-only listservs are hopping with activity and information sharing. (Fellows: Login to manage your subscriptions.)
Alumni fellows are the number one way that prospective applicants hear about the STPF program! Alumni get involved in many ways. They help recruit new fellows, serve as an Alumni Ambassadors, host alumni events in their local area, lead professional development workshops for current fellows, and serve as fellowship application readers and on a fellowship selection committees.
Fellows: Click to volunteer!
AAAS provides STPF alumni with exciting opportunities to grow their policy expertise outside of Washington. Click here to learn more.
Read about 40 alumni whose stories present a snapshot of who we are as a program.
View a video that was created to celebrate STPF's 40th anniversary in 2013.