Seven fellows on Capitol Hill ushered in the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships (STPF) program back in 1973. Today, AAAS places more than 250 fellows each year across all branches of federal government, and our alumni body is approximately 4,000 strong.
STPF alumni are leaders in government, academia, industry and the nonprofit sector. Many conduct and communicate their science to support public policy in national and international arenas. At the end of the fellowship, about half of each year’s fellowship class remains in the policy arena, a quarter return to their previous field, and the other quarter strike out into new territory.
STPF alumni fellows connect, share, and expand on their fellowship experience in myriad ways.
- Fellowship Focus: The STPF newsletter features stories about current and alumni fellows, science policy and STPF news and events. [Fellows: Submit a story idea!]
- Social Media: STPF is very social. Join us!
- FellowsCentral: A fellows-only website with information for the fellowship year and beyond, and a searchable directory of current and alumni fellows. Fellows: Login and update your profile, contact information and career moves.
- Sci on the Fly: Written and edited by current and alumni fellows, this blog and podcast features posts by fellows on a vast array of science policy issues. Fellows: Post a blog or podcast.
- Affinity Groups: Managed by current and alumni fellows, affinity groups network, share resources, discuss and host events on targeted issues in science policy.
- Alumni events: STPF hosts gatherings across the country for education, networking and fostering collaboration.
- Listservs: Our alumni-only email lists are hopping with activity and information sharing. Fellows: Login to manage your subscriptions on FellowsCentral.
Alumni fellows are the number one way that prospective applicants hear about the STPF program! Alumni get involved in many ways. They help recruit new fellows, serve as an Alumni Ambassadors, host alumni events in their local area, lead professional development workshops for current fellows, and serve as fellowship application readers and on a fellowship selection committees.
Fellows: Click to volunteer!
AAAS provides STPF alumni with exciting opportunities to grow their policy expertise outside of Washington. Fellows: Click here to learn more.