- Applications Due: November 1
- Notification of Eligibility: Late November
- Notification of Interview: First week of February
- Candidates invited for semifinalist interviews will be asked to write a one-page briefing memo on a designated science policy topic to be determined. The deadline for the briefing memo will be 7-10 days before the start of the interviews.
- Semifinalist Interviews**: Late February to Early March
- Fellowships Begin: September 1
- Orientation: First two weeks of September
- Congressional Placement: Mid-September
- Professional Development Program: Yearlong
- Fellowship End Date: August 31
Most offices begin contacting fellows directly after the reception and schedule interviews during the next few weeks. The majority of offices make offers within one to two weeks. Most fellows may begin working immediately. Some fellows sponsored by partner societies have a January to December fellowship. These individuals may interview in the fall for a January placement.
AAAS Congressional Science & Engineering Fellowships Reception
Each year in mid-September, host offices are invited to meet incoming congressional fellows at a reception on Capitol Hill after the fellowship orientation program. This reception marks the beginning of the placement process and provides a venue for staff from Members' offices and committees to meet incoming fellows. Participating offices are provided with fellows' bios and policy interests prior to the reception.