The Program has published a number of books and reports that are available online and for purchase. These resources are listed below by topic. In addition, the Program publishes two newsletters that are available online. To request a print copy of one of the Program’s publications, please email us your order and include “SRHRL Publication” in the subject line. Please do not fax your orders. Payment for publications can be made with a check or credit card. Payment must be received before your order will be shipped.
Publications by Topic
Professional Ethics Report
Professional Ethics Report (PER), which has been in publication since 1988, reports on news, events, programs, activities, and resources related to professional ethics issues, with a particular focus on those professions whose members are engaged in scientific research and its applications. Each quarterly issue is comprised of a cover story addressing one particular issue or event, sometimes written by an expert outside the AAAS; a series of in the news stories; brief updates from the societies; and resources and announcements.
Science and Human Rights Report
The Science and Human Rights Report (SHRR) is a monthly newsletter intended to keep scientists, engineers and human rights practitioners informed of news, program updates, upcoming events and new resources relevant to the intersection of science, technology and human rights. Inclusion of a specific news item, event or resource is not intended to suggest our endorsement of the views expressed therein. Submissions to the newsletter are welcome and can be made via email.
Reports, Books and Videos
- Advocacy in Science. AAAS Workshop Report, October 17-18, 2011.
Armed Conflict & Human Rights
- Draining the Sea: An Analysis of Terror in Three Rural Communities in Guatemala (1980-1984), Historical Notebook Series, 1996. ($5.00)
- Guatemala: Memory of Silence. Report of the Commission for Historical Clarification, Conclusions and Recommendations (CEH).
- Guatemala: Memoria del Silencio (CD-ROM).Comisión para el Esclaracimiento Histíríco (CEH). Language: Spanish. ($10.00)
- How many Peruvians have died? An estimate of the total number of victims killed or disappeared in the armed internal conflict between 1980 and 2000. Patrick Ball, Jana Asher, David Sulmont, and Daniel Manrique. 2003.
- Killings and Refugee Flow in Kosovo March – June 1999. Jana Asher, Patrick Ball, Wendy Betts, Jana Dudukovich, and Fritz Scheuren. 2002.
- Organizing and Repression in the University of San Carlos, Guatemala, 1944 to 1996. Paul Kobrak, 1999.
- Policy or Panic? The Flight of Ethnic Albanians from Kosovo, March-May 1999. Patrick Ball. ($15.00)
- Political Killings in Kosova/Kosovo, March-June 1999: A Cooperative Report by the Central and East European Law Initiative of the American Bar Association and the Science and Human Rights Program of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. 2000.
- State Violence in Guatemala, 1960-1996: A Quantitative Reflection. Patrick Ball, Paul Kobrak, and Herbert F. Spirer. Spanish version.
Economic, Social & Cultural Rights
- Core Obligations: Building a Framework for Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. Audrey R. Chapman and Sage Russell. 2002. ($20.00)
- Defining the Right to Enjoy the Benefits of Scientific Progress and Its Applications. AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition Working Group on Service to the STEM Community. October 2013.
- Exploring the Core Content of Socio-Economic Rights: South Africa and International Perspectives. Danie Brand and Sage Russell, 2002.
- Monitoring Labor Rights: A Resource Manual for NGO’s. Jonathon Rosenblume. 2004.
- Promoting and Defending Economic, Social and Cultural Rights: A Handbook. Allan McChesney. 2000. ($10.00)
- Tesauro de Derechos Económicos, Sociales y Culturales: Terminología y Violaciones Potenciales.Stephen A. Hansen. 2000. Language: Spanish. ($10)
- The Right to Food: A Resource Manual for NGO’s. Sandra Epal-Ratjen and Rolf Kunnemann. 2004.
- Thesaurus of Economic, Social and Cultural Rights: Terminology and Potential Violations. Stephen A. Hansen. 2000. ($20.00)
Ethics & Human Rights
- Human Rights and Scientific Cooperation: Problems and Opportunities in the Americas. Eric Stover and Kathie McCleskey, 1981.
- Intersections of Science, Ethics and Human Rights: The Question of Human Subjects Protection. AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition Working Group on Ethics and Human Rights. February 2012.
Genetics & Medicine
- Behavioral Genetics. Catherine Baker, 2004. (First copy is complimentary; For multiple copies: $8.00/ea)
- Designing Our Descendants: The Promises and Perils of Genetic Modifications. Edited by Audrey R. Chapman and Mark S. Frankel, 2004. Available through Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Human Inheritable Genetic Modifications: Assessing Scientific, Ethical, Religious, and Policy Issues. Mark S. Frankel and Audrey R. Chapman, September 2000.
- Exploring Public Policy Issues in Genetics. Mark S. Frankel, 1997.
- Personalized Medicine: Prescriptions and Prospects. Edited by Joanna Hawana and Deborah Runkle, 2011.
- The Genetic Frontier: Ethics, Law, and Policy. Mark S. Frankel and Albert Teich, 1994.
- The Genome, Ethics and the Law: Issues in Genetic Testing. American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Bar Association, 1992.
- Wresting with Behavioral Genetics: Science, Ethics, and Public Conversation. Edited by Erik Parens, Audrey R. Chapman, and Nancy Press, 2006. Available through Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Your Genes, Your Choice: Exploring the Issues Raised by Genetic Research. Catherine Baker, 1999.
- Ancient History, Modern Destruction
- Assessing the Status of Medical Facilities in Syria
- Broadly Accepted Practices Regarding the Use of Geospatial Technologies for Human Rights
- Challenges of Using Nighttime Lights and Transponder Data for the Detection of Illegal Fishing Near Indigenous Communities
- Conflict in Aleppo, Syria: A Retrospective Analysis
- Cross Border Conflicts
- Introduction to Remote Sensing of Cross Border Conflicts: A Guide for Analysts
- Monitoring Border Conflicts with Satellite Imagery: A Handbook for Practitioners
- Hostile Territory: Lessons Learned from Satellite Imagery of Recent Cross-Border Conflicts
- Armenia and Azerbaijan Cross Border Conflict: 2008-2012
- Cambodia and Thailand Cross Border Conflict: 2008-2011
- Djibouti and Eritrea Cross Border Conflict: 2008
- India and Pakistan Cross Border Conflict: 2001-2002
- Russia and Georgia Cross Border Conflict: 2008
- Sudan and South Sudan Cross Border Conflict: 2011-2012
- Ukraine and Russia Cross Border Conflict: 2014
- Eyes on Nigeria
- Geospatial Evidence in International Human Rights Litigation: Technical and Legal Considerations (2018)
- Geospatial Technologies and Human Rights Project Case Studies
- High-Resolution Satellite Imagery Ordering and Analysis Handbook
- Satellite Imagery Assessments
- Documentation of Petrochemical Release: Bodo, Nigeria
- An evaluation of Ovadan-Depe Prison using high-resolution satellite imagery
- High-Resolution Satellite Imagery and the Demolition of Avaza and Tarta
- Investigating Land Use and Land Cover Change in Bahrain: 1987-2013
- Monitoring Change in Sri Lanka's Valikamam High Security Zone: 2009-2014
- Satellite Imagery Analysis for Environmental Monitoring: Turkmenbashi, Turkmenistan
- Satellite Imagery Assesment of the Crisis in Crimea, Ukraine - Part One: Sevastopol
- Satellite Imagery Assessment of the Crisis in Ukraine: Part Two: Border Deployments
- Satellite imagery assessment of forced relocations near the Luiswishi Mine
- Satellite imagery assessment of forced relocations in Nairobi, Kenya: 2011-2012
Health & Human Rights
- Age is No Protection: Prevalence of gender-based violence among men and women over 49 years of age in five situations of protracted displacement (2017)
- Core Obligations Related to the Right to Health and Their Relevance for South Africa. Explorting the Core Content of Socio-Economic Rights: South Africa and International Perspectives. Audrey R. Chapman, 2002.
- Exploring a Human Rights Approach to Health Care Reform. Audrey R. Chapman, 1993.
- Health Care and Information Ethics: Protecting Fundamental Human Rights. Audrey R. Chapman, 1997.
- Health Services for the Treatment of Torture and Trauma Survivors. Janet Gruschow and Kari Hannibal, 1990.
- Human Rights and Helath: The Legacy of Apartheid. Audrey R. Chapman and Leonard S. Rubenstein, 1998.
- Human Rights in Global Health: Team-Based Learning Education Resource for Medical Students, Residents, and Fellows. AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition Working Group on Education and Information Resources. November 2015.
- Core Obligations Related to the Right to health and Their Relevance for South Africa. Explorting the Core Content of Socio-Economic Rights: South Africa and International Perspectives. Audrey R. Chapman, 2002.
- Serving Survivors of Torture. Glenn R. Randall and Ellen L. Lutz, 1991.
- The Breaking of Bodies and Minds: Torture, Psychiatric Abuse, and the Health Professions. Eric Stover and Elena O. Nightingale, 1985.
- The Right to Health: A Resource Manual for NGOs. Judith Asher. 2004. ($15.00)
- Turning a Blind Eye? Medical Accountability and the Prevention of Torture in South Africa. Mary Rayner, 1987.
Human Rights Indicators
- Manual on Environmental Health Indicators and Benchmarks: Human Rights Perspectives. Karim Ahmed, Anya Ferring and Linda Ibarra Ruiz.2005. ($10.00)
- Socio-Economic Indicators and Human Rights. Thomas B. Jabine and Denis Johnston. 1993.
Neuroscience & the Law
- Neuroscience and the Law: Brain, Mind, and the Scales of Justice: A Summary Report. Edited by Brent Garland, 2004.
Research, Policy & Emerging Technologies
- Anonymous Communication Policies for the Internet: Results and Recommendations of the AAAS Conference. Al Teich, Mark S. Frankel, Rob Kling, Ya-ching Lee. January 27, 1999.
- Assessing Anonymous Communications on the Internet: Policy Deliberations. Rob Kling, Ya-ching Lee, Al Teich, Mark S. Frankel. February 1999.
- Exploring Legal Challenges to Fulfilling the Potential of mHealth in a Safe and Responsible Environment - Workshop Report 1: Regulation. Deborah Runkle, edited by Mark S. Frankel. April 7, 2015.
- Forensic Science Assessments: Fire Investigation (2017)
- Forensic Science Assessments: Latent Fingerprint Examination (2017)
- Good, Better, Best: The Human Quest for Enhancement. AAAS Workshop Report, June 1-2, 2006.
- Regulating Human Cloning. AAAS Workshop Report, March 11, 2003.
- Stem Cell Research and Applications: Monitoring the Frontiers of Biomedical Research. Audrey R. Chapman, Mark S. Frankel, and Michele Garfinkel, November 1999.
- The Effects of Patenting in the AAAS Scientific Community. Stephen Hansen, Amanda Brewster, Jana Asher and Michael Kisielewski, 2006.
Responsibility & Research Integrity
- Good Science and Responsible Scientists: Meeting the Challenge of Fraud and Misconduct in Science. Albert H. Teich and Mark S. Frankel, 1992.
- Ethical and Legal Aspects of Human Subjects Research on the Internet. Mark S. Frankel and Sanyin Siang. November 1999.
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Pedigree Research. Mark S. Frankel and Albert H. Teich, 1993.
- Integrity in Scientific Research: Five Video Vignettes. Produced by Amram Nowak Associates, Inc., with assistance from the Medical College of Georgia, for the American Association for the Advancement of Science. 1996.
- Making Each Vote Count: A Research Agenda for Electronic Voting. Mark S. Frankel. October, 2004.
- Project on Scientific Fraud and Misconduct: Report on Workshop Number One, 1988.
- Project on Scientific Fraud and Misconduct: Report on Workshop Number Two, 1989.
- Project on Scientific Fraud and Misconduct: Report on Workshop Number Three, 1989.
- The Social Responsibilities of Scientists and Engineers: Developing a Global Survey. M.S. Frankel, J.M. Wyndham, E.J. Platts. March 2017.
- Social Responsibility: A Preliminary Inquiry into the Perspectives of Scientists, Engineers and Health Professionals. J. Wyndham, R. Albro, J. Ettinger, K. Smith, M. Sabatello, M.S. Frankel. March 2015.
- Science, Engineering & Ethics: State-of-the-Art and Future Directions. Mark S. Frankel, February 1988.
Science & Technology for Human Rights
- Getting Online for Human Rights: Frequently Asked Questions and Answers About Using the Internet in Human Rights Work. Stephen A. Hansen, 1998.
- Human Rights Projects: Guidelines for Scientists and Human Rights Organizations. AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition Working Group on Service to the STEM Community. October 2012.
- Scientists and Human Rights: Present and Future Directions. Kathie McCleskey, 1985
- Taking up the Challenge: The Promotion of Human Rights; A Guide for the Scientific Professions. Kari Hannibal. 1992.
- Breaking from the Past: Setting New Ground Rules for Scientific Freedom and Responsibility in East-Central Europe and the Russian federation. Jan Cave and Mark S. Frankel, 1992.
- Decommunication: A New Threat to Scientific and Academic Freedom in Central and Eastern Europe. Morton H. Sklar and Krassimir Kanev, 1995.
- Directory of Persecuted Scientists, Engineers, and Health Professionals, 2005. Victoria Baxter.
- Directory of Persecuted Scientists, Engineers, and Health Professionals, 2003. Victoria Baxter.
- Directory of Persecuted Scientists, Engineers, and Health Professionals, 2001. Victoria Baxter.
- Primer on Scientific Freedom and Human Rights. American Chemical Society and the AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition Working Group on Welfare of Scientists. 2012.
- Scientists Clash with the State in Turkey. Elisa Muñoz, 1998.
- The Right to Travel: An Essential Freedom for Scientists and Academics. Alistair T. Ilses and Morton Sklar, 1996. ($5.00)
- The Right to Travel: The Effect of Travel Restrictions on Scientific Collaboration Between American and Cuban Scientists. Elisa Muñoz, 1998. ($5.00)
Statistics & Human Rights
- Data Analysis for Monitoring Human Rights. Louise Spirer and Herbert F. Spirer. 1994. ($15.00)
- Who Did What to Whom? Planning and Implementing a Large Scale Human RIghts Data Project. Patric Ball,1996.